• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Wiper Question

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I have tired 9 different rear wiper motors in my XJ and I know atleast one of them should be working as it's brand new. When I hit the wiper switch all that happens is a click sound from in the tailgate, the sound is coming from the little black box(blue on some years) I believe is called the relay. I can feel it click when somebody hits the button.

With every motor I plug into the wiring harness the motors don't even budge and the relay clicks. The relay also clicks if the motor is unplugged so what could be my problem?

You think? Yea, that is really sounding like your problem.

Put a multi-meter on the contacts of the relay and see if you get continuity on the sencondary circuit when its actuated. Its a good bet that you won't get any continuity when the relay tries to close.

Instead of trying a 10th wiper motor, why not try another relay next time.

Rick Anderson said:
You think? Yea, that is really sounding like your problem.

Put a multi-meter on the contacts of the relay and see if you get continuity on the sencondary circuit when its actuated. Its a good bet that you won't get any continuity when the relay tries to close.

Instead of trying a 10th wiper motor, why not try another relay next time.
That's the thing, I also pulled the relay off or every XJ I pulled the wiper motors out of and none of the relays seem to do anything and they all click no matter which motor I use.

Check all contacts. I don't remember how the wiper motor is grounded, but if the relay works and delivers power to the motor, and the motor is dood -- the circuit still needs a ground to complete the flow of electrons.

Eagle said:
Check all contacts. I don't remember how the wiper motor is grounded, but if the relay works and delivers power to the motor, and the motor is dood -- the circuit still needs a ground to complete the flow of electrons.
Where would the ground be? Fiberglas tailgate....

BillyBob said:
I'm going to 1st ask you if you have tried this with the liftgate in the closed position?
No and I didn't 'install' the new motors either, I just pluged them in...I don't see why the liftgate being raised would matter, both my buddies' XJ's with working rear wipers, they'll work no matter what position the tailgate is in.

When I installed the new motor from my 87 into my current 89 it did not work until I lowered the liftgate.(Hint, Hint)

Have you cleaned the contacts as well?

The wiper motor may have an additional wire just for ground, since its a fiberglass liftgate, maybe yours is missing. If any wire was going to be on its lonesome and not in the bundle with the connectors it would be the ground wire, make sure the motor is grounded.

Check the power lead for the motor, sounds like the relay is working, maybe the power wire is shorted/broken or blown fuse, so the relay flips the switch, but there is no power running thru the relay on the power side to the motor.

Zoro said:
That's the thing, I also pulled the relay off or every XJ I pulled the wiper motors out of and none of the relays seem to do anything and they all click no matter which motor I use.
The motor ground is a black wire thats under one of the three bolts the motor down.

Well I opened up the 'working' motor and the gears are seized, it worked 6 months ago on a buddy's Jeep but not anymore, I'm gonna clean it out and re-pack it with grease. Yes power is geting to the motor thru the relay.

Back