• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

momentary contact switch

XJ_Vikings

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently engaged in rewiring the solenoid of my winch so that the on/off switch is in my dash and the remote is always in the cab and always connected, with the solenoid itself being mounted in front of the master cylinder. I’m looking into replacing the awful mile marker remote with either a better remote or better yet a switch.

The mile marker remote has 3 wires, 3 prongs. Unfortunately the Warn model has 5 wires, so I don’t see that working (I’m no electrical engineer... civil actually). I need a momentary contact switch very similar to the power window or lock switches, where default is spring loaded to return to off. This got me thinking about adding another switch on the door that similar or better yet exactly the same as the window switches. Before I go and tear my door apart, does anyone have experience with switches on the door panel? Any wiring diagrams out there of a 97's door panel with power windows and locks? Chilton’s isn’t any help Any ideas where I can find a generic mom. con. switch? I’ve been to about a half dozen hardware stores and always a goose egg.

If the mile marker winch only has 3 wires to the switch, i'm pretty sure you'll need a single pole/ double throw (on)/off/(on) switch.
from the 2000 FSM the door switches appear to be double pole/ double throw (on)/off/(on) switch. if you only need a single pole, a double throw will work fine as long as it can handle the amperage required to activate the solenoid. just take the MM switch apart, see how it is wired and if it has 3 or 6 terminals on the back a stock window switch can be adapted to control the winch, however if the stock switch cannot handle the amperage (FSM doesn't specify the rating of the switch) you may need to set up a relay circuit.

Wiring it to the window switch seems like a hassle and doesn't seem very safe. (accidentlt hit the window switch and reel the hook through the fairlead). If your remote is a 3 wire, just get a single throw momentary switch (metal toggle or plastic). Mount it on a blank panel on the dash within reach. One solenoid wire goes to the top, one to the bottom, and the hot goes to the center.

I just mounted my solenoid pack close to where you did. You can even pass your wires through the rubber grommet for the hood release cable.

Harvo said:
Wiring it to the window switch seems like a hassle and doesn't seem very safe. (accidentlt hit the window switch and reel the hook through the fairlead). If your remote is a 3 wire, just get a single throw momentary switch (metal toggle or plastic). Mount it on a blank panel on the dash within reach. One solenoid wire goes to the top, one to the bottom, and the hot goes to the center.

I just mounted my solenoid pack close to where you did. You can even pass your wires through the rubber grommet for the hood release cable.

hence the on/off switch, and yes, i am am aware of the rubber gromet. but thanks for the wiring advice, now that i have a specific name for a switch im sure i will have a better chance of finding one.

watch out where you put the parenthesis when you are describing a switch guys, and a single throw switch is not what he wants.

the parenthesis denote the momentary contact.

there are much cheaper ones out there, but this one would work.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062530&cp=2032058.2032230.2032278&parentPage=family

I thought you were going to use a window style switch mounted on the dash. If you were to use a window switch mounted in its original position, (can't see why, I like to roll my windows down) you should put a dash mounted on/off switch on the feed to the center pole to keep you from accidentally pulling through the fairlead, or worse, hurting someone.

let me rephrase, i am not replacing a window switch with the winch switch. Id like to place another switch in the same area. If i find it impossible, i will go with a DPDT switch like the one goodburbon suggested.

after opening up the door panel and taking a look at the electronics box im gonna have to scrap the idea of a window switch in the same area. However, i found a good DPDT (on)/off/(on) switch here:

http://www.switchchannel.com/products/rocker/dr/

which i am going to put next to the rear windshield wiper switch. The main on/off is taking the place of the cigarette lighter(no need for that)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/sdh04001/Solenoid Rewire/DSCF0579.jpg

just need to do a little trimming behind for the switch to fit, but the hole left by the cigarette lighter is just about a perefct fit. I just need the switch to stick out a little farther to fit the cap.

Back