• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Front Axle Swap?

WNT1

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what you all thought of a Low Pinion Dana 44 w/ 4.10's axle swap for the front of my 96 XJ.

I have already put the Dana 60 w/4.10's from the same 76 Ford Highboy Donor Truck in the rear. I was wondering if I should go ahaed and buy the front D44 for 200 bucks and swap it in also??? Or buck up and wait for a D60 Front? I am currently running 36X12.50X15 TSL SX's and don't plan on going much larger in the future!

Just looking for opinions/suggestions from Guys who are running similar setups???

Thnaks, Rob

Do you really need a dana 60 front? A 44 will stand up to about 38's if you upgrade the shafts and ujoints, and if you go to a 60 front, you'll lose a lot more ground clearance, not to mention having to reinforce the frame because of the weight difference.

My only concern was the fact that it's a low pinion D44??? I think it will be plenty strong for my application just concerned about the LP thing?

Is is closed knuckle?

I sure was hopeing to get more replies on this topic then this. I do want to thank all who did care enough to give me five mins. of thier time & provide me w/ some feedback. Thanks again

See the sticky thread on axle strength, etc.

No, I did not buy the Front axle because the seller told me it was a LP D44. I did however, purchase the Rear D60 from him!!! I was asking everyone if this front D44 would be a good option or not? Thanks for any help

I'm a little confused, because being from a mid-late 70's ford PU, it should (1) be a HP D44, and (2) should be open knuckle. Regardless, it will be fine for your 36's, particularly if you invest in some alloy axles and upgraded u-joints...

F250s and hiboys had a Low pinion D44 8 lug with or with out drum brakes, some even had the closed knuckle setup, it depends on the years.. My 75 F250 Hiboy had all time 4wd divorse Tcase no power steering, drum brakes, low pinion, and closed knuckle

Yeah, XJ-Grin I thought that was the case also but the individual I purchased the rear from "Appeared" to know what he was talking about??? He advised that the axles were pulled from a 1976 Ford Highboy. He was a Ford freak w/ several well built fullsized Broncos on 44's.

He might have well built Ford, but did he build them or did some one else

No, this guy had a three bay unattached Garage complete w/ all the cool toys next to his house. Like I said he "appeared" to know what he was talking about??

WNT1 said:
No, this guy had a three bay unattached Garage complete w/ all the cool toys next to his house. Like I said he "appeared" to know what he was talking about??
And whats wrong with a three bay detached garage!!!!!!???!!
Thems fightin' words around here (well, 'fightin words' if it was meant in a derogatory (sic) way):)
Rick R:sunshine:

Back