• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Polyethelene Jeep Bumper

Sand-Dog

NAXJA Forum User
Marcus Ohms is an Aussie Jeeper who, BTW, has an amazing web site with a load of how-to articles: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/index.htm. In one article he writes the following on an after-market polyethelene bumper made in Australia:

"The Team Poly Smart Bar is made from a type of polyethylene which is light in weight but still very strong. I have seen the video of the crash tests between different bullbars and it would flex to absorb the impact and then return to it's original shape. If the impact was large, then even a day or two later the bar would still be returning to it's original shape."

The Team Poly web site, http://www.teampoly.com.au, does not list a North American distributor. Anyone know if these can be bought in the U.S? Or is there a similar polyethelene after-market bumper available here?

Sand-Dog said:
Marcus Ohms is an Aussie Jeeper who, BTW, has an amazing web site with a load of how-to articles: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/index.htm. In one article he writes the following on an after-market polyethelene bumper made in Australia:

"The Team Poly Smart Bar is made from a type of polyethylene which is light in weight but still very strong. I have seen the video of the crash tests between different bullbars and it would flex to absorb the impact and then return to it's original shape. If the impact was large, then even a day or two later the bar would still be returning to it's original shape."

The Team Poly web site, http://www.teampoly.com.au, does not list a North American distributor. Anyone know if these can be bought in the U.S? Or is there a similar polyethelene after-market bumper available here?

Very cool idea, awful big bucks though here in the US...

Cool idea but I doubt it would be a profitable business here. When I was in Australia it seemed that 50% of the vehicles had some sort of "roo bar" in the front. I suspect that it is a larger market in Oz than here and it also looks like that the bumper manufacturing is a side project for that company and their core business is rotomolded tanks.

ZPD said:
Cool idea but I doubt it would be a profitable business here. When I was in Australia it seemed that 50% of the vehicles had some sort of "roo bar" in the front. I suspect that it is a larger market in Oz than here and it also looks like that the bumper manufacturing is a side project for that company and their core business is rotomolded tanks.

Actually the bumper business would do well here, been thinking about it, the amount of deer hits that destroy cars in the metro north east is high, a decent bumper that had roo/deer protection might go fairly well especially if the dealers got behind it. Trick would be to make it look decent on some of the cars....

RichP said:
Actually the bumper business would do well here, been thinking about it, the amount of deer hits that destroy cars in the metro north east is high, a decent bumper that had roo/deer protection might go fairly well especially if the dealers got behind it. Trick would be to make it look decent on some of the cars....
the problem there is the feds, and pedestrian safety. New regs are going to make the manufacturers design hoods that cushion a pedestrians impact, and bumpers that will absorb the energy of hitting even a pedestrian. I just wonder if these could meet those requirements for OEM., or even a dealer/aftermarket option.

87manche said:
the problem there is the feds, and pedestrian safety. New regs are going to make the manufacturers design hoods that cushion a pedestrians impact, and bumpers that will absorb the energy of hitting even a pedestrian. I just wonder if these could meet those requirements for OEM., or even a dealer/aftermarket option.

I was reading an article on the bbc news site about SUV's in england and how thats an issue, one conflict was children were more prone because they would get the grill in the kisser vs adults who bend over and smack the hood, then the issue came up as to how much give till they hit the engine, will it never end till we're all driving inflatable balls around..

This might work well for pedestrians (although we shouldn't try to legeslate out Stupid Hurts here) if it's a flexable plastic.

Won't front ends designed to make stupid hurt less mean there could be more easily totaled vehicles (and maybe injured occupants?)

Back