• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumper powdercoating

trashedxj

NAXJA Member # 1386
ok so i just got my JCR front winch bumper in and i wanna get it powder coated, is 125 a normal price for this stuff or are the locals just imbread and out to get my money?

Personally I wouldn't powdercoat a front bumper. I own a powdercoater and did my first bumper. The paint tends to be a lot harder, (read this brittle). It chipped from road sand and rocks. It ended up rusting quickly. I had to sand blast the whole thing and start over.

Personally I have had good luck with Hammerite paint. It stabilizes rust and can be touched up easily while still looking good.

I think the ARB on my Tacoma is powder coated. It has held up great to 50K or more miles of on highway service. Rocks, sand, and gravel don't seem to have any affect on it other than a dulled appearance.

The price sounds reasonable to me, but I'm not out shopping powder coatings now either.

I powder coated my bumper, and it has held up pretty well to the NY salt. There are different types of powder, that either make it very hard, or flexible.
As far as the price, I think I'm getting bent over, I paid $175!

dscn04905uv.jpg

Sweet yellow bumper! I think everyone is getting a fair price for powdercoating. As mentioned various types of powdercoat and various ways of applying the heat. I worked for one company that did their own powdercoat and it was quite the process. Theirs was pretty much bullet proof the way they did it but was also big bucks for the high output system they had. They spent about 5 years perfecting their own method.

I like the paint idea better for me and would like to hear where to get that kind at?

Once I get my jeep on the road I dont want to be afraid of scratching it so plan on buying a cheap can of black spray paint for touch ups! Worse comes to worse it will end up being primer black instead of glossy! Scratch=spray=all better!

My Custom 4x4 winch bumper was powdercoated, and it's toast. Not to knock his products, but my coating only lasted about 3 years in the IN winter. I've sanded and re-coated it with Duplicolor and Rustoleum to no avail. This year I'm gonna try the roll on stuff. Honestly, if I were you, I'd powdercoat it THEN coat it with spray on bedliner. Rust has made me bitter :gonnablow

I had my bumper blasted and powder coated for $80.00 at a local shop. It has held up very well to sand and road salt for 3 years so far. I recently brush painted some rock rails with POR - 15 and it is really good paint. It is self leveling, so no brush marks, has excellent adhesion to a properly prepared surface and it is very flexible. I spilled some and it ran into a dribble. After it dried I pulled up the spill, all in one piece, and it will fold and stretch without breaking and then it returns to its original shape.
standard.jpg

I paid $225 for mine. They powdercoat mountain bikes and guarantee their work on any terrain for up to 10 years. Their paint just doesn't come off!

linex is the toughest stuff out there... I will linex my interior, rockrails, and both bumpers the as soon as I get my garage emptied.

old_man said:
Personally I wouldn't powdercoat a front bumper.

Again. Once I left the mall parking lot...BAM!!...all scratched up. I touch up the PC with spray cans, should have started there to begin with.

Back