• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header swap "might-as-wells"?

raywoo

NAXJA Member #1304
After lurking for a year, I've finally found a problem that I didn't find an answer to using Search.

I planning on replacing the original cracked exhaust manifold on my '93 with a header, but was wondering what other things I "might as well" replace or upgrade while I have the manifold off. The XJ has 193K miles and I've replaced the O2 sensor, engine mounts, as well as the usual tune-up items. Would it be worth replacing the fuel injectors (the current ones aren't leaking).

Ray

Pulling the exhaust manifold is NOT that difficult, the studs and bolts can be a problem. Treat the bolts with PB Blaster or some sort of penetrating oil twice a day, everday for a week, especially before and driving the vehicle, let the heat and expansion and contraction help get the penetrating oil in the threads. This will help ensure all the bolts/studs come out and don't break off, which is a real probability.

Fuel Injectors are EXPENSIVE, it would be nice to install fresh ones but its too expensive and they often still perform just fine even with 100's of thousands of miles on them. But thats about the only thing to do along with a manifold change, the injectors. Maybe look into a service that will professionally clean them, if your going to pull them buy the "O" ring kit to replace the "O" rings. "O" Rings can last for a very long time, but you ruin a new "O" ring pulling it or intalling it, make sure to squirt some engine oil around or on the "O" ring during install/removal to keep them from tearing/twisting/dragging during the install/removal.

If you have an EGR, nows the time to clean it up and replace anything performing poorly. The EGR Tube can clog with built deposits.

All of the other stuff you mention is not made any easier by performing it during the header removal, so unless you need an excuse, you can change the injectors any time.

There are only two things you may want to consider -
1. Removing or adding a heatshield between the intake manifold and the header. (some xj's came with, some didn't)
2. Replacing the intake manifold with a newer 97+(?) version. Supposedly there are minor performance gains from this modification.

Back