• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tera-Low or NV241 Rock Trac?

Jeepdogrob

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so this might be a no brainer for some but I am a little torn between the two. I have heard that the Tera-low has weak points and that the NV241 has its problems with installs but is better. Why is one better than the other? What should I go with? In the end I will be out about the same amount of cash either way I go. I would like to hear from someone who knows what is better. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Jeepdogrob said:
Ok, so this might be a no brainer for some but I am a little torn between the two. I have heard that the Tera-low has weak points and that the NV241 has its problems with installs but is better. Why is one better than the other? What should I go with? In the end I will be out about the same amount of cash either way I go. I would like to hear from someone who knows what is better. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

if you are spending 900 on a teralow, 200 on a 2 low, 250 on an SYE...
- you might as well spend $1750 and get a STaK 2 speed...

just my thoughts...

I have both,the 241OR is alot better built.

I hate my Tera-Low. Temperature sensitive, RPM sensitive, noisy, Pain to shift.
On the plus side, paid 800 for it, easy to install. Tell ya what I'll sell ya mine with AA HD SYE for 900.00.

Go Atlas, do it once.

Derik

XJ_ranger said:
if you are spending 900 on a teralow, 200 on a 2 low, 250 on an SYE...
- you might as well spend $1750 and get a STaK 2 speed...

just my thoughts...

I think the STaK MB2 is great, so is an Atlas, but they require new driveshafts (or having your existing ones lengthened and shorted, assuming you've already got an SYE), plus you have to buy a signal converter in order to reclibrate your speedo with the MB2 (Atlas uses a speedo gear, so that part's a bit simpler). Where'd you see the MB2 for $1750?

I'm currently in the same boat, looking to do some type of lowrange t'case. Already got a JB SYE and Tera 2LO. ~$750 out the door for a Tera kit is pretty tempting, vs probably over $2,000 for an MB2 after all the extra stuff you've got to do.

did you convert the 241 to use a 1310 yoke? The 241 still needs signal converter just like the STaK MB2 to calibrate the speedo. And you don't get 2LO.

How about the Klune V... those are sweet

Jeepin Jason said:
did you convert the 241 to use a 1310 yoke? The 241 still needs signal converter just like the STaK MB2 to calibrate the speedo. And you don't get 2LO.

The 241 has a 1330 yoke in front and a flange in back. I tossed the flange, moved the front yoke to the back and went with a new 1330 CV shaft. I needed one anyways with the lift.
I bought a 1310 yoke for the front and reused the original driveshaft.
With my AX15/4.56/35's the speedo reads about 3mph fast @ 75mph. Which is close enough for me.
I haven't found the need or care for 2lo, twin ARB's probably helps that. :)

Jeepin Jason said:
Where'd you see the MB2 for $1750?

its been a while but IIRC Jess at High Angle Driveline quoted me that before shipping...

Jess must have one helluva hook up at STaK then, because $1750 is below their steepest dealer pricing.

Oh yeah, the STaK cases don't include a VSS (vehicle speed sensor), so you've got to buy that as well (~$95) if you even want to hook up your speedometer. It does come with front/rear 32-spline output shafts though, and it's still cheaper than a 4.3 Atlas. Atlas has an XJ-specific shifter kit though.

Last edited:
I am having BIG TIME problems with my tera low. It does not have 2wd at all and tera's tech help is not good at all. I would go with either the Atlas or the 241!! If you want to try and figure out how to get 2wd from my Tera Low I can sell ya this one for cheap :)

jeepme said:
I am having BIG TIME problems with my tera low. It does not have 2wd at all and tera's tech help is not good at all. I would go with either the Atlas or the 241!! If you want to try and figure out how to get 2wd from my Tera Low I can sell ya this one for cheap :)
The Tera kit only replaces the planetaries,all the rest of the components are your original parts to properly install.If your having problems shifting you probably got something in wrong.

RCP Phx said:
The Tera kit only replaces the planetaries,all the rest of the components are your original parts to properly install.If your having problems shifting you probably got something in wrong.

Actually they replace the whole front section of your Tcase, bearings & seals, along with the planetary gears but Yes you either have installed the other components incorrectly, or you shift linkage is incorrect.

Rob

Ronbo said:
If you need more than 4:1, you'll need something else of course. You could put a Klune in front of the 241 though. :)

:loveu: Been thinking of that setup in front of my stock 242 but I get mixed mesages about what spline counts are avail. & how involved moving the t-case gets:repair: Is anyone running this or something like it:sunshine: ???

DeweyXJ said:
:loveu: Been thinking of that setup in front of my stock 242 but I get mixed mesages about what spline counts are avail. & how involved moving the t-case gets:repair: Is anyone running this or something like it:sunshine: ???

This should give you a little insight of what it takes to get a Klune in an XJ

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/trans/klune04/

Rob :sunshine:

Back