• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Downsides to 16.5" wheels?

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
The axles Im going to be putting under my Jeep project are 79 F250 44/60s. I want to run as big of brakes as possible and the rims that are on the truck are 16.5". Trouble is, tires I was looking at are 38.5x11" boggers or Q78 TSL's and the biggest rim size offered on those sizes is 16.5. I have no problem stepping to a 17, but then im limited on tires. I know the Iroks have 17s, and the TSL/SX have 36x12.5" on 17's now too. Im just wondering if I'd be ok on 16.5" rims or if I should step up to a different tire and run 17's.

The only thing ive heard about 16.5's is something about the bead..

not sure on H1 or two, I think they are military tires. Do a search on ebay for 36 inch and 36.5" tires and you will find several sets for $300-400. not too shabby for a full set.

woody431 said:
The only thing ive heard about 16.5's is something about the bead..
16.5s don't have a safety bead, running low air pressure will peel them right off the rim. Why not 16s?.........Hans

H1 rims are a double beadlock split rim design. They are a great alternative because they are cheap, readily available, and they're double beadlocks. The problem is that they have 7" of backspacing. You can run dually hubs, get them recentered (USA 6x6 for $65ea, not a bad price but you have to send them to OK, $37 for just the centers and do it yourself), or get a special steering arm (a couple of places have them for d60's, I don't know if the problem is even there with other axles) made to clear with the excessive backspacing and run the narrower width, might be the best option with a narrow XJ. I've got a set for my K10 on ton running gear that I will be having recentered to 3" BS. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Rev Den said:
X2

Needs repeating, I once ran a trail with a guy on 16.5's......

Rev

So, im assuming beadlocks would solve this problem?

As for 16's, I wouldn't have a problem running them if I knew Id have clearance. Like I said I want to try and run the biggest brakes possible and if that means stepping up in rim size and using a different tire, i guess that's what Ill have to do..And thanks for all the advice on the H1 rims/tires. Ill keep an eye out on Ebay when the time comes

Back