• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sounds like a diesel to me

midway90xj

NAXJA Forum User
problem... under start up and under load I get a diesel sound start up is bad all started when I did the rear main so...
things I've done...
1.new rod bearings
2.new main bearings
3.checked the water pump and the flex plate
I have done a search on this and everything that's been suggested I have looked at so any new Ideas, after the mains it did improve but is still there oops sorry 1990 with a 4L at 270k yes that's Kilometers I'm a Canadian eh any help would be greatly appreciated and you shall be rewarded with a thousand thank yous...Clint

How did you check the flex plate? Maybe try unbolting the converter from the flex plate and pushing it away and then start it and see if the sound is still there. I'm not sure why it would have anything to do with changing the rear main but I had a cracked flex plate once and it did sound like that.
Mike

I've run out of oil (close enough that nothing showed up on the stick) before, and it sounded like my dad's powerstroke. Thinking you'd have already done this, but occasionally we all miss the little things.

I just pulled an 89 motor out and put in a 87 with low miles. I did all you did and found out the wrist pins were worn.

Back