• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Problem

Sixgunz

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there. I have a 93 XJ it had been sitting for a while and now the right caliper (pass side) seemed to have frozen up. It would get really hot, smelly and pull really hard to the right after a few stops. So off to autozone I go and purchase new calipers and pads (the rotors were changed last brake change.) I replaced both drivers and pass calipers at the same time as well as the mounting (slider?) bolts, and pads. Hoping that the sticking or frozen up problem would have gone away. Well it did somewhat. When I drive around the right fronf pass side still seems to be sticking. It gets really hot and smelly. The truck dosent pull toward the right though. The brake pedal seems to be a bit squishy also. So my questions are what should I be looking at now. New proportioner valve, master cylinder, lines? I really dont have a clue why it would do this. I did bleed them, so I dont think that is the problem. One thing I do want to try is to re-grease the slider pins with the grease, silicone, that MAC said to use in another thread (i did do a search.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

Nick

The first thing I'd try is another round of bleeding, but a deteriorated hose can cause symptoms like this sometimes too. What happens is that the inside layer flakes off and creates an informal check-valve. If you haven't done the hoses for a long time it wouldn't hurt anyway. Aside from the obvious safety issue if they fail, if the outer jacket starts cracking, it seems to make for a softer pedal.

Amen to the hose problem...I have seen this before myself.
I had one that looked like new,but I could not blow 120 psi through it.

Back