• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motorcraft filters

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#mc-fl1a
Long Lasting FL-1A
This is an interesting filter. Basically, it appeared to be a Purolator Pure One filter cartridge in a Purolator Premium Plus case. Don't be fooled by the differently shaped holes cut into the oil inlet. This is the only difference. I have, however, seen that the Motorcraft line tends to change manufacturers. For a while they seemed to be Champion Labs filters, then they went back to Purolators. I also received some information from a Ford technician that the filters that come on the vehicles from the factory are not the same as those that are available to the dealerships.

Like the Purolator Pure One, this filter cartridge features a very large element surface area (400 sqin), but with many pleats (64). This packs the filter together rather tightly and could possibly restrict flow somewhat. I believe could identify the Pure One element media by a purple dye they use at the seam and by the texture. It also has the mysterious assembly string wrapped around the outside of the element. Like the Purolators, it features a spring-loaded metal bypass valve and a nitrile rubber diaphram-type anti-drainback valve. The bypass valve is stamped right into the bottom end cap of the cartridge, so it is all one piece.

Sounds like MOPAR Filters. You never know what your going to get, they swap suppliers all the time, and have the latest supplier paint their logo on the filter. There was a time that you could cut a MOPAR Filter open and find the Cardboard End Cap filter element of the Orange FRAM Filters.

i heard they are pretty good, not the best, but certainley not the worst. fram is supposed to be one of the worst ones on the market, although i am sure millions are used without too many problems. if motorcraft is better than the worst and they are free to you, how can you go wrong. get two cut one open run the other and see what happens, oil pressure etc.

The biggie to look out for is startup oil pressure, if the anti-drainback valve is of fram quality it take about 15 seconds for the filter to refill and pressurize after sitting overnite. If it has a good anti-drainback it should pressurize in 4-5 seconds.
Just an observation.

Back