• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 experts help needed ASAP

edmaude

NAXJA Member #1368
I get a rattling sounds when driving in gear noticeable mostly on the highway when cruising in 5th and under load. No noise once off the gas. It will also make this noise in other gears as well when cruising and accelerating. My clutch is at 96k and most likely original, it also chatters a lot. Do you think that the noises I am getting are clutch related or from bad trans bearing? The best way to describe the sound is similar to really lugging the engine in a high gear, which I don't. The vibes and rattling can get bad at times lately, but do come and go in severity.. I am having a shop check this out tomorrow mainly for bad u-joints, but I want to see if I get get some insight first.

At 96k on original clutch its probably time for a new one. The only sound I normally get when lugging the engine is from the engine in the form of valve noise. Are you sure this is trans related and not engine. You said the noise is similar to lugging the engine, the only noises I have ever heard when lugging and engine are from the engine because its being lugged....Anyways I would bet its clutch related since it is chattering anyway.

Those were the symptoms of mine before my synchros went phooey. I had trouble in fifth (noise, and then difficulty shifting), and then it got worse in the lower gears.

Ended up buying a used tranny for $600. Use only GL-3, sulpher free gear oil. Lots of posts about that.

Steve

edmaude said:
I get a rattling sounds when driving in gear noticeable mostly on the highway when cruising in 5th and under load. No noise once off the gas. It will also make this noise in other gears as well when cruising and accelerating. My clutch is at 96k and most likely original, it also chatters a lot. Do you think that the noises I am getting are clutch related or from bad trans bearing? The best way to describe the sound is similar to really lugging the engine in a high gear, which I don't. The vibes and rattling can get bad at times lately, but do come and go in severity.. I am having a shop check this out tomorrow mainly for bad u-joints, but I want to see if I get get some insight first.

If the noise disappears when you depress the clutch pedal, the cause is most likely to be a worn release bearing.

you need to explain the nose better, try higher octane fuel

Thanks for help everyone. I had a shop check it over and it looks like I am hearing a bit of a rattle from the T-case chain. I'm going to change to fluid this weekend and see if it quiets down a bit more

edmaude said:
I get a rattling sounds when driving in gear noticeable mostly on the highway when cruising in 5th and under load. No noise once off the gas. It will also make this noise in other gears as well when cruising and accelerating.

Look for a crack in the exhaust manifold, particularly where the two secondary pipes meet the collector.

Back