• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood vents preparing for spring

grab some vents off a turbo LeBaron.
DSCN0033.jpg

It seems like most people use leBaron Hood Vents on their XJ. They use them, because they are cheap ($40), can be painted easily, and they are basically the biggest vent you can put on the hood without affecting the support braces on the hood itself. I'll be doing the mod sooner or later.

P.S. Look in the classifieds, people occasionally have them, if not, go tot he junkyard.

You could always just stick some spacers in between the hood and the mating surface of the hood hinges and call it good. Kinda poor boy, but works great and is really CHEAP!

ruggedjeep said:
grab some vents off a turbo LeBaron.
DSCN0033.jpg

Hey, I recognise those... :D

Need to do mine at some point - having them sitting in the dishrack is getting old :D

So is the water getting on the engine issue really that big of a deal? The drain pans that were done in that write up seem like they could be quite a hassle. I love the whole vent idea since it tends to get pretty warm around here in the summer.

Another guy on the board (Krakhed) said that the vents killed his mileage. The vents were in addition to moving his IAT sensor. Running too cool made things too rich.

Has anyone else noticed this? I have a set of LeBaron vents, but haven't installed them yet. So, is Krakhed on crack?

Steve

I just pulled the weatherstrip at the back and bend the lower lip down. Works like spacing it but without having a raised hood.

mort0101 said:
So is the water getting on the engine issue really that big of a deal? The drain pans that were done in that write up seem like they could be quite a hassle. I love the whole vent idea since it tends to get pretty warm around here in the summer.

Forget all those water drain pans. Go and have some big magnets made (like on the side of a reat estate agents car) in the dimensions that you need. Keep them under a rear floor mat and when it rains...stick em on. It'll cost you a bit but IMO its way easier than trying to figure how best to route any water.

How about an inverted hood scoop? Did that on my car for cooling and no water at all went into the engine compartment at any time ever. Lets the air flow through. If being too cold in the winter is a problem just make a removeble plug.

Bringing this up as I was thinking about doing this to the Jeep because it works so well on the car. Especially in extreem winter conditions no salt, sand (also good for you who live in high dirt sand gusty wind areas), sleet, ice, snow, etc, can get in.

I think I paid 70 bucks for the scoop and as it fiberglass its very easy to cut and modify to fit almost anything.

Wondering why more dont use the inverted scoop? Is it a Jeep thing? Inquiring minds need to know! :confused1

Thanks,
Ken

Hey Ken...

Your scoop....it's definitely sawking! :)

I LOVE those VW commercials.

Hey River Fever, Love your Magnet Idea! I'm a part time agent myself. I can kill two birds with one stone. Here is my plan. I follow one of my competitors (one with one of those signs) and when he is not lookin.......Oh well, Maybe not.

Check out go jeep. he has photos showing the air flow and a little info regarding negative air flowalso different set ups that use the vents from other vehicals along with the new style Ram Air metal hood. I found that the D pillar vents off a grand work. I pulled them at a bone yard for next to nothing. installed them this week end

riverfever said:
Forget all those water drain pans. Go and have some big magnets made (like on the side of a reat estate agents car) in the dimensions that you need. Keep them under a rear floor mat and when it rains...stick em on. It'll cost you a bit but IMO its way easier than trying to figure how best to route any water.

Tried the magnet thing, too bad the vents are aluminum and well they arent very magnetic. Sticking a huge magnet to your hood isnt the best idea. I have had mine for a year now, through snow, rain and everything else. Nothing has bothered my engine yet. Just gets steamy. Havent lost gas mileage either, or cooling for that matter. It still runs at 210. Its just nice when on a trail to help it cool down from 230.

SteveT said:
Another guy on the board (Krakhed) said that the vents killed his mileage. The vents were in addition to moving his IAT sensor. Running too cool made things too rich.

Has anyone else noticed this? I have a set of LeBaron vents, but haven't installed them yet. So, is Krakhed on crack?

Steve

I dont see how thats possible. It must have been something else i cant diagnose from my computer but the underhood air temp should not adversely effect the milage. If he put in a real low temp thermostat he could run very richly and waste gas, but i see zero reason a hood vent, cowl induction or any venting would adversely effect milage. I dont believe it.

I dont know how much rain you guys in the south west see, or how deep it gets even on the roads, but i can guarantee just runoff rain is not an issue. Michigan and the pacific north west see lots of rain i often drive lots of miles in inches of rain and the under hood area is soaked, i dont see how unless your driving in water up to the air box you have anything to worry about. Dont worry.

I also use the LeBeron vents. I found out the hard way that my tps sensor does NOT like to get wet (rain). I did the magnet thing with a piece of thin sheet metel.

I'll put in a vote for the 96-97 Grand Prix GTP hood vents below:

401189_25_full.jpg

As for the drip pan issue, I did not install drip pans on mine and have not had any problem despit some big raind stomes and snow melt. I just made sure not to place mine over my distributor or anything else that looked to be not-so water friendly. The LeBaron vents are bigger and could be moreof a problem with water.

0313 said:
Tried the magnet thing, too bad the vents are aluminum and well they arent very magnetic. Sticking a huge magnet to your hood isnt the best idea. I have had mine for a year now, through snow, rain and everything else. Nothing has bothered my engine yet. Just gets steamy. Havent lost gas mileage either, or cooling for that matter. It still runs at 210. Its just nice when on a trail to help it cool down from 230.

Obviously the magnet has difficulty sticking to the aluminum vents. So get them cut so they overlap the vents by 2". Still no good?

Back