• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heavy-duty leaf springs

2001XJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Where is the best place to purchase heavy-duty leaf springs? I don't need more lift, but wouldn't mind the extra 1" from Up Country springs. What I really want is the heavy-duty version of the stock leaf springs. I frequently tow with my '01 and the OE standard springs are starting to sag a bit on the driver's side. I don't want OME as I already have a 2" BB (coil spacer/shackle) and the OME springs have too much lift, but they are tops in quality.

I would like to get springs with the front bushings already installed, but have had zero luck finding those. Also, if I must get the bushings separately, can I install them with a large vice & some grease, or is it a job for a shop with a press?

Thanks for any info.

2001XJeep said:
Where is the best place to purchase heavy-duty leaf springs? I don't need more lift, but wouldn't mind the extra 1" from Up Country springs. What I really want is the heavy-duty version of the stock leaf springs. I frequently tow with my '01 and the OE standard springs are starting to sag a bit on the driver's side. I don't want OME as I already have a 2" BB (coil spacer/shackle) and the OME springs have too much lift, but they are tops in quality.

I would like to get springs with the front bushings already installed, but have had zero luck finding those. Also, if I must get the bushings separately, can I install them with a large vice & some grease, or is it a job for a shop with a press?

Thanks for any info.
You might also consider having a spring shop add a more appropriate tapered overload leaf in the pack, or build new packs if your's are older. I had my packs made with a thicker, non-arched, tapered, overload leaf in each pack, but they are also 3.5 inch lift packs as well.

Not to hijack, but are the HD springs on Quadratec indeed comparable to the factory UpCountry models - i.e., that extra inch of lift?

Thanks
Bob

That is a good question. I seem to recall Eagle stating once that he has heavy-duty springs on one of his rigs that are standard height. But I have no idea what Quadratec offers. I have decided to order from them when I'm ready so that would be very helpful to know. Hopefully someone will chime in with the answer.

I did say that. But the vehicle is a 1988 Cherokee, and back then they offered multiple suspension options. Mine was special ordered with a "heavy duty" suspension, rather than the "off-road" suspension.

2001XJeep said:
That is a good question. I seem to recall Eagle stating once that he has heavy-duty springs on one of his rigs that are standard height. But I have no idea what Quadratec offers. I have decided to order from them when I'm ready so that would be very helpful to know. Hopefully someone will chime in with the answer.

Ditto here also! I want a two inch lift so if Hd's are stock height I will likely use 2" lift shackles as I must replace them anyway. (major erosion due to corrosion) I hope to order the Quad leafs within a month. I started a new thread so as to not hijack this one but concerned about breaking tools and bolts, etc..I plan on a major lift at some point so not spending the big bucks on OME right now. Staying stock for now but want towing and load capability for rear. I priced the Quad Hd leafs w/bushings and shipping comes in under 200.00! And thats for Poly bushings.

See: Newb replacing rear leafs (help)

Good luck and keep us updated,
Ken

Last edited:
I have the QT HD springs. Maybe a 1/2 inch lift..
By the way there is no way in heck you are going to "tap" in metal sleeved bushings. They must be pressed. Probably poly bushigs are easier..?
I put together a home-brew bushing press pretty simply -- could probably post some pics of that if anyone is interested.

i went to the distribution warehouse that quadratech gets their oem style aftermarket parts and i compared 3 xj leaf springs they had. i ended up picking up the 'heavy duty' one because it was significantly higher and better arch than the other two regular ones. hopefully this will restore my saggy rear to the stock height and then some. next time i go there, i'll try to get a pic and some measurements just to show people the difference i am talking about.

I was hoping someone would reply with firsthand comparison experience between the standard and heavy-duty springs from Quadratec. Thank you!

Bummer. When you are in the blank "reply" area look just above and see a yellow (at least mines yellow) box and when hovering the cursor over it it says Insert Image. Click on that and it should give a pop up window to insert the image. The image box is in with the tools section re:fonts,bold,center,etc..

Good luck and thanks,
Ken

gjxj said:
Mine says "you may NOT post attachents." Hope no one minds a little redirect..

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721532

Thanks, good pics! This is what I was hoping for before buying. The HD leafs are a bit different (on the good side) than my stock factory 90' xj leafs which have 2" of sag now. Specifically, the new second spring from the top is longer than mine which im hoping will provide less sag over time.

Thanks again,
Ken

only members can insert images, non's have to remote host and link them in. what about adding some leaves from a second stock xj pack, for higher spring rates and little lift? who's done it?

Back