• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rollcage

Lynn

NAXJA Forum User
I bought John K.'s rollcage and today was Day 1 of the install. The interior has been partly removed and the cage is tacked in place except for a piece across the rear hoop. So far so good except for finding rust forming along the wheel wells in back. Tomorrow they'll finish welding and paint it black and put the interior back together. This is a design similar to my TJ's M.O.R.E. rollcage, that was outside of the front of the dash, so it'll remind me of my TJ quite a bit. :wink:

[img:7e4bdd3184]http://photos.imageevent.com/tealj/xjrollcage/websize/DSC00045.JPG[/img:7e4bdd3184]

Hit me b-c and let me know how much the install costs. As you may know, I also have a vested interest in how this install goes. Looks good so far, how we planned it.... Too bad John wussed out, but glad to see it went to you instead.

A.

Actually, now that I look at it, those bars that run to the back of the Jeep were supposed to go closer to the sides of the Jeep. The original intent was to pick up the rear seat seatbelt mounts on the pillar with a bracket from the rollcage to the mounting bolt.

A.

There were some compromises. There's so many ways you could make this different.

The main hoop was located just a bit rearward to give more room for the front seats to go back.

The pieces in the back are actually located on top of some part of the underneath so it can be tied in later to the frame. My Tuffy slide-out drawer will still fit.

The front legs could have been designed to hug tight up against the dash, or even cut the dash apart and have the legs run through it. These legs are designed to not interfere with the dash at all. The glove box still opens enough to be usable. The light switch is still accessible. So are the power switches on the doors. It's very similar to how my TJ cage was, so I'm comfortable with it. Others might see it and point out all kinds of ways to have done it different, but I like it.

Later on, after I've lived with it for a while, we'll probably weld into it a cargo rack and a tire carrier in the back. I'm going to leave the back seat out for now. It will still fit with the cage as it is mounted, but getting in and out will be difficult. The back seat would be put back in if I get a dog.

Today they have to finish the welding and put in a bar across the rear at the top, and the bars that run from the front legs to the main hoop. Those will be interesting to see how they fit. It's a tight fit between the seat and door.

Take lots of pictures, I'll be starting mine soon.

How many of the tubes did they have to trim? When I was loosely fitting mine together it looked like they left some of them long so you can do some custom fitting.

Some of the tubes were several inches too long and had to be cut down.

I just came back from visiting at lunch (this shop is only 10 minutes from where I live and work). The section that goes between the seat and door is just not gonna work so we're leaving it out for now. If I ever get custom seats there'd be room for that.

We pulled the rest of the rear carpet up so the Tuffy drawer could be installed. There was more rust and the whole carpet was wet. Somewhere underneath there's water getting under the undercoating. They're gonna clean it up and put some rust inhibitor on it and paint it. We test fit the Tuffy drawer and it will prevent the rear seatback from fitting. Decisions, decisions. I've never had a rear passenger in over two years and doubt I ever will, so we'll leave the seat out and keep the drawer.

The only part of the whole kit that probably could have been reworked is the front legs. There wasn't much extra tubing on these two pieces. And it seems like the bends are off a bit, but all in all, for the price I got the kit for and how the installation is going, I'm happy with it.

End of Day 2: it's all welded in, primed and ready to paint tomorrow. They took care of the rusty floor and put in the support braces for the Tuffy drawer. I kinda dig the gray color, but it's gonna be painted black.

[img:d03eed4fee]http://photos.imageevent.com/tealj/xjrollcage/websize/DSC00046.JPG[/img:d03eed4fee]

Looks good Lynn! I also like the gray color. Can't wait to see it in person and check it out. Hopefully I can get some time off work soon and come down and check out Rousch..

I have pictures on my site at http://www.imageevent.com/tealj

Still need to get rollbar padding yet.

I like it alot! Can you get in to the front doors?? it looksl iek taht bar comes right down where your left leg would be.

Also in the back would they be able to bend the bars closer to the sides of the jeep?

The rollbar looks sweet though

The rear legs are welded in where the rails are. Can be tied in later if need be. Getting in does require a slight tilt of the head. Once seated, my left leg is close to the lower bar. Driving it last night, I found myself "resting" my leg against it. I will be getting rollbar padding to put on the cage. My TJ had a similar rollbar so the whole thing has a warm fuzzy feeling about it. 8) Driving it last night it was very noticeable the stiffness of the chassis. I think the next thing I will do (and quickly) is put the swaybar back on. :wink:

Back