• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door armor

olympic4x4tech

NAXJA Forum User
I need something pre-fabbed to cover my doors. Ive seen lots of guys running some plate on the lower door panels but I need some that go higher, ALOT higher. Yes, I know i can build my own but i've got to the point where its alot easier to buy something that already had all the r&d done. Worse case senerio i'll build my own out of 3/16 plate or some SS diamond plate. Just dont have the time.

I am been thinking about this too. I hit a tree right under the uper crease on the door. I was thinking a peice of metal to cover that up.

now the big ? what should i use. 1/8" is more expensive the the 3/16" that i can get, but im thinking that 3/16 would add too much weight. also been looking diamond plate but i know it wont slide as well.

why not just get a tank?....:)

I think the reactive armor used on tanks might cause aproblem when you lean it over on its side.

It looks like i can get a great deal on some 14 ga. plus its easy to work with and i can make spares if they ever get so fubared.

olympic4x4tech said:
now the big ? what should i use. 1/8" is more expensive the the 3/16" that i can get, but im thinking that 3/16 would add too much weight. also been looking diamond plate but i know it wont slide as well.

I used 1/8" plate for mine(and the many sets I've made for others). If you're worried about diamond plate sliding or you need the plate to go at high as the door handle, you need to learn how to drive. Doors are not rock sliders. ;)

Haha, this is great. Hey Eric, it's Justin (kid that ran with ya in the White XJ.)
Yeah I can see ya wanting something heavy duty to cover the doors, we both got kinda "dinged" up :D. I would think that 3/16" - 3/8" would be good, but not too much...

used 1/8" plate for mine(and the many sets I've made for others). If you're worried about diamond plate sliding or you need the plate to go at high as the door handle, you need to learn how to drive. Doors are not rock sliders.

This trail i think everyone hit their doors. Jes have you done sledge on 33"s? Its a little difficult. Justin i think 3/16 -3/8 would be alittle heavy if doing the entire door. I liked the setup you have. Im thinking use thicker stuff on the bottom then the thin stuff to cover up the damage higher up.

Go doorless! It is an easymode that you can do for nothing but a few common tools and a grinder with a cutting wheel. I can take mine off and put them on in about 1 min per side. Also, no weight issues. Unless you are worried about being to light.

Nutty, simply nutty.

Back