• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Tow point

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking on ebay I found a rear bumper with reciever that mounts to the stock mount locations. I was questioning the strenght of this setup?? would this be a strong/safe setup. Would it be possible to make a mount the goes through the stock bumper for shackles???

I have the tomken rear bumper with the built in 2" receiver. It has two heavy straps that go to the nutplate inserts inside the frame. Plenty beefie so far.

I wouldn't trust a bumper that mounts to the stock mounting points alone.....maybe for very light towing but thats about it.

I'll get a picture of how I built the bottom tie in for the bumper I made,it's like the tomken setup that rich p is talking about.

i wouldnt trust a bumper to tow that didnt mount to the 3 or 4 bolts on the unibody where most trailer hitches attach. If you have your heart set on this bumper, you can get some angle iron and bult it up, then weld it to the bumper for added support.

jeepdeepfreak said:
I wouldn't trust a bumper that mounts to the stock mounting points alone.....maybe for very light towing but thats about it.

I'll get a picture of how I built the bottom tie in for the bumper I made,it's like the tomken setup that rich p is talking about.

like this:

i have homemade nutserts inside the frame,the strap runs along the frame rail just like a hitch would and is bolted in three places per side and the tow hooks sandwich strap between the frame.

Last edited:
Those are some terrible pics,it should look something like this.
rear%20bump2.jpg

The one that I saw looks like the one above minus the frame tie ins. I really wasnt looking to buy it, rather questioning the builders maddness attaching a reciever to that bumber using the puuny stock bolts. I guess for 185 bucks it looks pretty, could fab some tie ins into it, to make it functional and safe.

XJ_Vikings said:
fabbing up reinforcement is very very easy, 2 pieces of angle iron cut to lengh, drilling 4 holes per side, welding the contact point

Or for those of us who are arc impared bolting it to the bumper...

Back