• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1985 XJ

jeepbub

NAXJA Forum User
I have the chance to buy a 1985 XJ and need to know some things. It has a 2.5 liter 4 cyl. Can anyone tell me what types of gearing came in these. I had a 1984 that had 410's in it but I don't know if all of the 4 cyl. had these in them. I also would like to know if the tranny would be the same as the tranny or bolt up to the 2.8 liter in one of my other XJ's. Is the transfer case a NP207. The person that is selling it doesn't know enough to tell me any information on it. I am hoping that some of you can get some information for me. The XJ is about 5 hours away so going to look at it is not an option.

I think that most 84 and 85 models with the 2.5 motor came with either 3.73 or 4.10 gear. Yes, the tranny will work if you decide to do a motor swap from the 2.5 to the 2.8. If the jeep does not have select trac than it most likely will have the 207 tranfer case. HTH

Kim.

Back