• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Simple cheap mod for Disco Axles

oldmopars

NAXJA Forum User
I read in 4wheel and offroad about a new product called Perm-Lok. It locks the front axle diconnect in the lock possition. It can be seen here: http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_jeep.html
However, there is a much cheaper way to do this. If you pull the cover off and look at the actuator shaft it has 2 E-clips. The slider is held inplace between the 2. You remove the one and slide the shift fork to the side tward the vacuum pot and reinstall the E-clip. This holds the shift fork in the lock position, just make sure you slide the lock ring over to the lock side and reinstall. Remove the vaucuum line or plug it, or leave it. It will do nothing even if you send vacuum to it.
I did this mod to a Comanche that I swapped T-Case/motor and trans into.
It worked great and cost me nothing.

The difference between your method (which I have done) and this product, is that it can still disengage/unlock, which yours will not. This can be helpful when running a front locker and needing to make a tight turn on the trail.

He (Oldmopars) is talking about the Perm-Lok system.

JnJ said:
The difference between your method (which I have done) and this product, is that it can still disengage/unlock, which yours will not. This can be helpful when running a front locker and needing to make a tight turn on the trail.

x2

I think he missed the point of the perm-lock system.

Back