• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Double cardan idea--will this work?

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
What about doing this to a stock rear prop. shaft?
blazerkit1.jpg
To make a bit more room for the added 211229x d.cardan piece, a bit could be whacked off the slip yoke. Right? By the way, I'm thinking about doing this for an 8.25" and 242.

That's what I was afraid I'd hear. On the bright side, I just bid on a '94 XJ front shaft and even if its length won't work for me, I'll have a dirt cheap d. cardan piece.

I have that on my 88 XJ with D44 5" lift. Six States In Spokane, WA. made it for me. Cost 250.00 the guy that made it runs an 89 XJ With 10" of lift, he also runs the same way.

Not sure if your's is the same as my 242. That was a yoke. The shaft you have pictured would give you a CV joint, but leave the slip on the TC out put shaft. The reason to do a slip yoke eliminator and move the slip to the drive shaft is to shorten the length of the output shaft. That gives you a longer shaft which helps with angle, and moves the weight of the heavier CV joint closer to the TC bearing for better support. If I have said stuff you already know, and your idea takes care of this, then pardon me.

No pardon necessary. Actually, I did grab the wrong picture, and I admittedly know little about different styles of outputs/yokes/flanges/et cetera. I'm going to use a front shaft, but I don't feel like paying for the flange if I can just take the old slip yoke, cut it down, and have someone machine the inside as you did. Why isn't this more common? It seems so much more logical, not to mention cheaper.

Back