• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine oil contamining clutch

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
I have a strange problem with my 1988 4.0 XJ, Peugeot 5 spd tranny. Somehow oil is passing to the clutch compartment. I've already replaced the rubber/plastic gasket (or as you want to call it, I'm in Mexico and I'm not sure how this piece is called in English) that should prevent this from happening, but it still leaks oil. Oil pressure is normally around 40, when I accellerate alot it can go up to around 60, but it's always within acceptable ranges (in my opinion). What could be causing this?

schmiedel said:
I have a strange problem with my 1988 4.0 XJ, Peugeot 5 spd tranny. Somehow oil is passing to the clutch compartment. I've already replaced the rubber/plastic gasket (or as you want to call it, I'm in Mexico and I'm not sure how this piece is called in English) that should prevent this from happening, but it still leaks oil. Oil pressure is normally around 40, when I accellerate alot it can go up to around 60, but it's always within acceptable ranges (in my opinion). What could be causing this?

Apruebe la causa es cualquier la junta de la cubierta de la válvula o el sello principal posterior.

Ok the cause is either the valve cover gasket or the rear main seal.

OK, both have been replaced. I'm noticing some leak on the valve cover gasket, I will tighten it a little bit more to see if it's that so that might be the cause. Will this leaking oil come down and go into the tranny from the upside?

The main rear seal shouldn't be the problem as it's new. Is there any special cause that could get this seal to leak? I know the HO engines have a different seal than the older ones. In my case the seal is like two half circles made of hard rubber / plastic.

Back