• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine bay reinforcement

TiRod

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone seen a "shock tower" cross brace for the XJ? I keep looking at an engine bay built like a 66 Mustang - and Shelby added a brace to stiffen it. There was already one on bottom - the XJ doesn't have any.

If the steering box will rip out and needs braced, and a winch bumper is alleged to tighten up the handling, my gut feeling is it will help. There is room enough to cross over the intake tube above the manifold, so it's just a matter of judicious placement.

There sure was a lot less stuff in the way on the old Mustang . . .

i'd say the benefits will be outweighed by the hassle. V8s are the main reason the Mustangs got them. lots o' twist going on.. it may do something for the XJ but it was really designed to stiffen up a chassis that was to be under alot more stress from aceleration and cornering.. low speed crawling likely wont be any changes you can "feel" ut it might actually work if you can squeeze it under the hood.

the only times I've seen it done are when guys are converting to coilovers. i certainly wouldn't discourage you from doing it, I know a lot of guys that have been wheeling the same XJ for years find more and more cracks all the time, and some (Jes? CRASH?) have been talking of bringing their cage through the firewall to the front to help prevent additional cracking up there.

Back