• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Use "search" been there done that (rant) :)

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
Spent hours searching, reading, visiting manuf. sites.... to no avail. Only have 20 more questions than I started with! :shiver:

Was all set to do "Home Brew Budget Boost" then got side tracked......

Heres the deal: My 90' xj I just bought was neglected so needs lots of tlc to get stock ready for inspection. Last but not least needs new rear leafs (complete set) these are 2" under and hits bump stops on level gravel road.

I have a local spring maker that would make a 2" lift set of new leafs per Home Brew method. So was going to add front Home Brew to list to complete 2" lift.

Cost of rear leafs installed w/new bushings etc. is $440.00 ! Still need front end parts.

Now after using search, etc.... not sure I want to go this route, maybe another (better?) 3" complete set for little more cash? Im just more befudled now after using "search"!

I do know this has been beat to death as I have read most of the hundreds of posts!! Spent all my free time for last two days researching here only to become lost in the vast sea of info found.

Many 2"-3" lift kits are more expensive when adding new leafs which is a must for me. Have had the Jeep for a month now and getting close to being inspectable. Leafs will be the last addition before getting it inspected. Would love a 3" lift but just about out of cash for now except for the $440.00 I was planning on for the new installed custom AAL leafs. Someone brought it to my attention they regret going cheap when it was so close in price to getting a better value for slightly more cash which started me rethinking this whole process.

Right now I "give up" and toss this oleo of vast info out to this forum for slice and dice and retribution!

Help! please.......:read: :repair: :explosion <----(my mind in 'search')=BrainFreeze

Very sorry and many many thanks,
Ken

You can even pm me and/or I will post my email addy to save space.

Last edited:
I do understand what u r saying however its not that simple. The AAL's im looking at not only include the install (I have no tools or work space) but done in the manner said offers better than stock quality and handling, no sag, and is guranteed (locally).

Im not disagreeing just including all the facts.

If I can find a quality lift set (or a better way to do it) including good leafs that wont rattle the rear end (means no basic AAL's) and add installation to that and include front lift for a little more than 440.00, say even 600.00, then I will wait and not have a Jeep for a while longer. (Perhaps not til END of summer)

Yes im anxious but trying real hard to not be foolish as well.:)

Many thanks,
Ken

usmcsamhouston said:
check out 4wd.com I just got a catalog from them that had 4wd hardware 3" leafs for $159.99 or skyjacker 2.5" for 179.99
good luck

Will do and thanks. Is that per set or each? Will go look now.
By the time I add S&H and install and front lift???? This is what im looking at.
Thanks again,
Ken

Post up in the NAC forum and see if any New Englanders can help you out. Somebody might have a set of leafs clogging up their garage and even be able to help install.

do yourself a favor and install them yourself, i'm sure you can find someone to help you out. worth it for saving money and simply just learning. rustys leaves are good and ride well too. 440 is too much money

Here is a bit of advice. Nothing is free! Look all you want, but there is no 3" lift with new leafs installed for $400. I'm really not ragging on you. If you want a lift, that will cost. If your leafs are shot, that is a repair. If you pay a mechanic, that's expensive. For $100-$200, you could buy enough tools to go to the junkyard, get some suitable springs for $20, put together a pack, and fix your leafs.
When I bought my XJ I had a cresent wrench, chanel locks, a screw driver, and a hammer. Now I have about $500 in tools (no air yet) saved me about $2000. I just got through putting on a 4" lift that I put together for $500. That includes a SYE and 2 CV drive shafts, springs and shocks (not blocks and spacers). Seriously, be patient. The more of a hurry you are in, the more money you will waste. Buy tools. Ask someone in your area from this board for help. Post a wanted ad for springs. Find out where a u-pull yard is. Find the nearest Harbour Freight. Or, get out the credit card, buy the leafs, spend another $40 on 2" spacers for the front, and pay the shop $50 to install, and bingo 2" lift! I really mean this as friendly advice.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10105/s-10101/p-100000324906/mediaCode-ZX/appId-10530841/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000032490610530841

This link if it works falls into the to good to be true catagory and the 'you get what you pay for' catagory as well, but whats up here? I see no part# to include the leafs and im confident the price is for AAL's which I cannot use. But I dont understand how one can get all the parts shown for $250.00????

Thanks and I am taking everyones advice very seriously. May just get stock pack for now and keep it that way for a while. Im in the mtns, and no junk yards near me at all.

Thanks again,
Ken

Last edited:
klonestar said:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10105/s-10101/p-100000324906/mediaCode-ZX/appId-10530841/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000032490610530841

This link if it works falls into the to good to be true catagory and the 'you get what you pay for' catagory as well, but whats up here? I see no part# to include the leafs and im confident the price is for AAL's which I cannot use. But I dont understand how one can get all the parts shown for $250.00????

Thanks and I am taking everyones advice very seriously. May just get stock pack for now and keep it that way for a while. Im in the mtns, and no junk yards near me at all.

Thanks again,
Ken

as i read it, and having dealt with JCWhitney before, i dont think thats "all that is pictured here". As the text reads, front springs , shocks, and mabye rear springs or leafs,...whichever they feel best. NO brackets, no control arms, at least the pro comp one i purchased had new LCAs in it.Thers a lot of goodies in the pic, but not in the text.Gotta be weary with JCW. And i WAS gonna say you were gonna pay in the shipping dept,..but it seems they have become reasonable with that...If you have lift parts around your house, sway bar links,..relocatign brackets, u0bolts,..id say mabye, then you can make up for what you will need.

Wallymander said:
as i read it, and having dealt with JCWhitney before, i dont think thats "all that is pictured here". As the text reads, front springs , shocks, and mabye rear springs or leafs,...whichever they feel best. NO brackets, no control arms, at least the pro comp one i purchased had new LCAs in it.Thers a lot of goodies in the pic, but not in the text.Gotta be weary with JCW. And i WAS gonna say you were gonna pay in the shipping dept,..but it seems they have become reasonable with that...If you have lift parts around your house, sway bar links,..relocatign brackets, u0bolts,..id say mabye, then you can make up for what you will need.

As for shipping they have a promo for free shipping right now on over $75.00. Still wont work anyway as the main thing I need is the rear leafs (full set)

I put out a want add in the NAC for stock leafs and think I will stick to stock for now. Just want and need to get the Jeep on the road (even if thats where it must stay for now). If I gotta go buy the tools to do it so be it, I'll be ahead the tools anyway. Then I can just sit back, save up cash, and do it right next time! (would make a good winter project next year)

Thanks again,
Ken

Zuki-Ron said:
That kit, is not as shown in the picture.
It is a Rough Country 3" AAL lift, with shocks.
You get:
3" Front coils
A set of AALs
U-Bolts for a D35
4 Rough Country 8000 series shocks.

It is, the basics. From that point, you fab. Does it work? You bet. There is a write up on this kit on the Cherokee America site >
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/99/09_sept/hrclift/hrclift.html

Good article on the Rough Country kit. Sounds good "ONCE" I get some decent leafs to start with! I know I will need to plan ahead for other worn out parts as also mentioned in the article, broken bolts, etc...

Thanks again,
Ken

That sucks about no yards close. If you are going to stay stock, maybe try a parts yard. I know it wouldn't be close. I think when I was looking for a donor pack, places wanted like a $100 if I remember right (I didn't go that route). You would have to be sure to get a late model. The wanted ad just might do the trick. Keep an eye on the for sale board. Here in Colorado, I watch a Colorado 4x4 board. Look for a big 4X4 forum in your area/state. When I look for stuff to buy, I look in NAXJA Colorado, then the Co. 4X4 (Lots of XJ stuff belive it or not), then NAXJA national last. Anything close or local is a good deal. Just keep at it, you will get it taken care of.

Dirt Surfer said:
Here is a bit of advice. Nothing is free! Look all you want, but there is no 3" lift with new leafs installed for $400. I'm really not ragging on you. If you want a lift, that will cost. If your leafs are shot, that is a repair. If you pay a mechanic, that's expensive. For $100-$200, you could buy enough tools to go to the junkyard, get some suitable springs for $20, put together a pack, and fix your leafs.
Do what this man says!!!!!! i bought some barely used quadratec hd leaf packs on this board and then added an AAL I had leaf from my pack and I had a 3.5" lift over what stock spec is. it cost me a total of 130$ shipped. not bad, then i had some 3" coils for the front off of this board or the otehr one and i was set, I then just added parts here and there as i saw fit. I bought an adjustable superlift trac bar from ebay from super lift scratch and dent for 69$ .... see where i am going with this????

dude if i had another 440$ to spend id be getting an SYE for preventative maintenance along with a stock front shaft then adding my coil spacers up front and another leaf or two to the back :)

Thanks everyone! I am now doing as "Everyone here" has suggested and going the used leafs and add on parts later as I find them!

Already have a local friend that offered to come over and help out next month. Starting Aptil 1st he has a month off!

So in the mean time just give me a wave at the mall as your heading out 4x4ing! lol :jester:

Nah, actually this will give me needed time to get to know my Jeep and work on the many other small things that need fixing so it will be in even better shape when it does go off road! No regrets that way!

Thanks again,
Ken (they got any coveralls on sale at the mall?oops watch out for that bump in the parking lot, haha)

Last edited:
Dirt Surfer said:
That sucks about no yards close. If you are going to stay stock, maybe try a parts yard. I know it wouldn't be close. I think when I was looking for a donor pack, places wanted like a $100 if I remember right (I didn't go that route). You would have to be sure to get a late model. The wanted ad just might do the trick. Keep an eye on the for sale board. Here in Colorado, I watch a Colorado 4x4 board. Look for a big 4X4 forum in your area/state. When I look for stuff to buy, I look in NAXJA Colorado, then the Co. 4X4 (Lots of XJ stuff belive it or not), then NAXJA national last. Anything close or local is a good deal. Just keep at it, you will get it taken care of.

Just remembered I do have a local tow company w/a scrap yard out back and 1 junkyard about 30 mins from me for starters!

As far as using late model (im reading low mileage here) leafs what do I check for as far as stock fit? Are there certain year models that fit or what?

Thanks again,
Ken

There are no differences in years. Yes, read low mileage. All will sag a little. It's pretty common. Obviously yours are past a little. Leafs are easy to do. Didn't know about them till I read here. You will just need a 5/16 center pin. Those are about a buck. Get a few. You can put one of your current leafs in the new pcak just for filler if you don't get enough lift. (meaning to stock heigth) It is just a matter of undoing your u-bolts, and the 2 connecting bolt. Easy as pie....unless they are rusted together and you break a bolt.... but hey, we'll help you with that too!

Since im on a roll here....

What do I watch for as far as proper alingment of real axle when changing rear leafs? Or is it a no brainer bolt in place?

The undercarriage has more than its share of rust so what should I plan on having ahead of time as far as replacing clamps, bolts, shackles, shock mount bolts, etc... Id rather be a little over prepaired and use new parts than be in the middle of things and go "oh s__t".
Are the 5/16 center pins a napa item or?

I do have plenty of varying jacks, stands, sawzall, grinder, etc...even a mig welder once I learn how to lay a bead with the thing! :shocked:

Even have some warm (40 degree) weather on the way soon!

Just want to say thanks again to everyone (especially those who gave me the proverbial slap upside the head) ! :thumbup:

Ken

Back