• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front 44 question

xjj33p3r

NAXJA Member #1108
I got a front hipinion 44 out of a late 70's bronco, and I wanted to know if it's possible to use the RE/Clayton axle bracket kit to put this under my jeep. I'm not sure if it's got the cast mounts or not, which is why I'm asking to begin with.

dana44001.jpg

dana44002.jpg

thanks

The mounts are cast. Sorry.

These are welded:

wedges.jpg

wedgesoff.jpg

I'm not sure you'll have much success using the RE bracket kit with this axle. I think there may be a few guys that have made it work, but I would say that most have gone with some sort of radius arm set-up for their suspensions.

Last edited:
If you intend on running the axle full-width, just extend the radius arms and run as-is. If you want to narrow the axle, I'd advise having a shop who has the correct equipment/experience necessary to re-tube it to the width of an 80-91 Jeep Wagoneer. That makes getting axles easy. In my opinion, your axle ('78&'79) is not the choice of those who choose to narrow an axle themselves.

I used the 79 axle, formed my mounts to the cast and had someone that can weld to cast weld them on for me. turned out great. so I have a bolt in 1979 hp44.

Take a look at how those "cast" mounts are attached to the tubes.
Notice the WELDS?
That is cast steel, not iron.
Preheat, weld away to your hearts desire.
In fact, I believe they might even be forged, not cast.

Masking tape is your friend.

I'm going to be making a 4 link out of it, my friend decided to help me out with the matter. I figure this axle will hold up well to my worn out 34's... and seeing as I never broke the d30 in any way, I should have a nearly bullet-proof axle... sans the u-joints. Other than u-joints, what are some inherent weaknesses of a 44?

xjj33p3r said:
I'm going to be making a 4 link out of it, my friend decided to help me out with the matter. I figure this axle will hold up well to my worn out 34's... and seeing as I never broke the d30 in any way, I should have a nearly bullet-proof axle... sans the u-joints. Other than u-joints, what are some inherent weaknesses of a 44?
XJ front IS a four link.

kid4lyf said:
XJ front IS a four link.
I'm going to run 4 links instead of the stock radius arms that came on the axle. I know that xj's have a 4 link design, but I'm going to be making long arms in the process, with 4 actual arms coming off of the frame.

xjj33p3r said:
I'm going to run 4 links instead of the stock radius arms that came on the axle. I know that xj's have a 4 link design, but I'm going to be making long arms in the process, with 4 actual arms coming off of the frame.

with or without a panhard/trackbar?

xjj33p3r said:
with... maybe a triangulated 4 link... who knows.
either do a triangulated 4 link (no panhard and push/pull or full hydro steering) or a 3 link with panhard (a la URF). A 4 link with panhard like stock has inherent bind in it and will require the use of bushings whereas the others you can use flex joints and/or heims.

Back