• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Problems

GeoffW

NAXJA Forum User
The transfer case on my Girlfriends 92 Cherokee is making noise and is apparently toast (mechanic). The car runs fine in 2wd and I can put it into 4wd but it will not engage and propel the car. Im giving it a shot to try and fix, my question is as follows. 4wd is not really needed here in NC so can I just disable or remove the transfer case and keep the car in 2wd at all times. She would like to avoid having to pay for any big repair bills. Thanks for all the help.

GeoffW said:
The transfer case on my Girlfriends 92 Cherokee is making noise and is apparently toast (mechanic). The car runs fine in 2wd and I can put it into 4wd but it will not engage and propel the car. Im giving it a shot to try and fix, my question is as follows. 4wd is not really needed here in NC so can I just disable or remove the transfer case and keep the car in 2wd at all times. She would like to avoid having to pay for any big repair bills. Thanks for all the help.
nope, can't pull the t-case.
Transmission doesn't have a yoke to take the driveshaft, not to menton that you would need a driveshaft about a foot longer. You'll have to have the t-case repaired or replaced. I'd find a junkyard and pull a lower mileage unit. Going rate is about 150 at a yard.
You'll need to know which one you have, there should be a red tag on th t-case itself. It will be a 231J or 242J.

I would check to see if the front driveshaft is turning (blown front diff) because the 242 won't go anywhere in 4 hi without it! (can you put it in 4 lo?)

You can keep the car in 2WD at all times by not touching the shift lever.

Of course, that assumes that there isn't something fouled up in the 2WD assembly. On a Command-Trac NP231 (for example), there is a chain that pops onto a sprocket for the front output; this connects the rear output to the front and supplies four-wheel-drive.

It's possible that the chain in the case is either stretched (though I doubt it would stretch so much as to disallow movement in 4WD), or the mechanism for applying/removing the chain is broken. Either way, the chain is only loaded when you're not in 2WD.

What happens when you shift the lever and apply the gas? Any noises? Popping or grinding? Does the lever feel like it's too "easy" to shift?

It could be as simple as readjusting the shift linkage. If it doesn't engage the whole way, you could be dumped into a psuedo-neutral and won't be able to go anywhere.

What reason did your mechanic give for a busted transfer case? Bad bearings? Broken gear teeth? Worn synchronizers?

Back