• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maxxis

Matt S.

NAXJA Forum User
I already made my mind up on these. I ordered a set in the 35" version this morning! But, I am curious on one thing... for those that have them. How thick is the sidewall compared to say a MTR and Swamper?

Maybe Brad will chime in...

He ordered a set of those to replace the go-go-mudzilla's...

It seems they've been working ok for him

Gil BullyKatz said:
Maybe Brad will chime in...

He ordered a set of those to replace the go-go-mudzilla's...

It seems they've been working ok for him
Yeah, maybe a little TOO much traction for girlie-man axles.
From what I've seen, Maxxis make a damn good sticky tire.

well, i havent had a set on my jeep, yet, but ive used the majority of the maxxis tires on my mountain bike, and 20" bike, and every tire ive used ive never had a complaint with.....theyre good w/ rubber, ill tell ya that much

Maxxis tires rock!
After 3 sets of Swampers in a 2 year period........I had to try something new,
been running the Bighorns, beyond excellent tire.....sold big time on this
brand!! I've got some very deep slices in the walls & tread side, still go from
28lbs to 8lbs back to 28lbs with no problems or failure.
Tread wear has been very good.....
Typical terrian: Mud before rock,wet rock mix....nothing dry out here.

35s for the XJ... the D30 is only under for a this summer. The 44 goes in very soon.

what I am really hoping for is some good feedback from people after the Trepadors have been out for a while. I want those on the wrangler.

Paul (or those guys) are you still happy with them?

Scrappy said:
what I am really hoping for is some good feedback from people after the Trepadors have been out for a while. I want those on the wrangler.
i am waiting on the trepadors as well. they are supposed to be coming out with some other sizes than the 35 and up soon. hopefully they'll have a 33.

I mounted up my set of 35's the other night. They are pretty thick, although I havent had any MTR's to compare to. I know they were pretty stiff to get onto the rim. Hopefully be able to try them out here in a couple weeks when the Jeep's done.
-Matt

When my creepy crawlers were new I had to run them at 4 lbs to get the sidewalls broken in they were so stiff.

tealcherokee said:
well, i havent had a set on my jeep, yet, but ive used the majority of the maxxis tires on my mountain bike, and 20" bike, and every tire ive used ive never had a complaint with.....theyre good w/ rubber, ill tell ya that much

X2 i ran a set of maxxis high rollers on my hardtail mountain bike..the rubber stuck like glue to rocks..they make good schtuff

So far so good. Not one cut sidewall for Paul or I. Between the two of us we have at least 30 hammer runs with no flats. I'm so confident in them I no longer carry a spare.
Just wish I would have bought the 38X13r15's. I want the comp compound but it's not out in the 15" size yet. If it ever comes out in the 15's I will step up one size for sure.

David Taylor said:
So far so good. Not one cut sidewall for Paul or I. Between the two of us we have at least 30 hammer runs with no flats. I'm so confident in them I no longer carry a spare.
Just wish I would have bought the 38X13r15's. I want the comp compound but it's not out in the 15" size yet. If it ever comes out in the 15's I will step up one size for sure.

I leave the spare in the back of the tow rig when I go out. :)

Scrappy said:
35s for the XJ... the D30 is only under for a this summer. The 44 goes in very soon.

Paul (or those guys) are you still happy with them?
so you're keeping the XJ? not selling it?

XJ is sold... sorta. My dad bought part of it from me. I keep the title, he bought a trailer and tires. He is buying axle stuff.. I will out it together/build it.

I am glad to hear those tires are this good, I didnt buy a spare. I just need to find a decent 35"spare.

How much heavier are these tires?

These tires are just silly.
Stupid-big sidewall lugs.
Very heavy; roof mounting spare not an option.
Seem to stick very well in wet and dry.
Maxxis is a great company to deal with.
Did I mention very heavy?

I'd say the beads on my 37's Creepy's are about twice as thick the beads on my old 35" MT/R's, but I've heard the bead on a 37" MT/R is also twice as thick as a 35" MT/R, so???
Anyway, thickness doesn't tell the whole story. After almost a full season on Creepy's not only have I not cut one, but I don't think there's even any sign of sidewall damage, whereas my MT/R's where full of 1/4" deep gashes after just a few runs.
IIRC my 37" Creepy's weigh 5lbs less less than a 37" (17") MT/R.
It's just too bad they're not round :)

Paul

BrettM said:
which Jeep are they for?

i forget the exact number, but i remembe Paul saying he cut multiple (5-8?) MTRs in a single season and hasn't cut a Maxxis yet. he said the sidewall is WAY thicker. sounds like you made a good choice.

I cut 7 MT/R's last season, 1 MT/R this season, but that was Matt's fault.

Paul

Back