• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the "CV" axle an upgrade?

sgt_ic3m4n

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to know if the "CV'' type axles that I'm finding for my XJ are and upgrade to the stock "U-Joint" type or if I should just try to find a genuine stock replacement. I'm thinking that's my "Popping" problem from my other thread.

P.S. Anyone have a stock drivers side axle laying around????

There were two types on the earlier XJ's - a visual inspection should tell you which was which. I don't believe they are interchangeable.

The "Cardan" style uses a wheel U-joint just like the ones in the driveshaft (but smaller,) and the "CV" or "Rzeppa" style will use a CV joint like on FWD.

The "CV" is theoretically better, but the Cardans are cheaper, easier to service, and more tolerant of operating conditions. I'll take the Cardans hands down.

5-90

that's what I thought jeepdeepfreak. I'll do a little more research and find out if I can just "throw" them right on the ol' rig or not. Does anyone know for sure?
I found some on eBay that are the CV type and it says they fit a regular cherokee, and they're relatively cheap at about 50 bucks for the drivers (short) side. I appreciate the input fellas.

I did a little searching on this and found out that the cv style axleshaft can be swapped out for the u-joint axleshaft no problem. So I would assume that it would work going from u-joint to cv axleshaft.

Kim.

For what it's worth, I'm running a ZJ CV axle in my junk, and it's working so far. My 85 has CV axles, and they are alot smaller than the Grand axles.

sgtmack said:
For what it's worth, I'm running a ZJ CV axle in my junk, and it's working so far. My 85 has CV axles, and they are alot smaller than the Grand axles.

So the Grand cv axleshafts will fit my 85 with cv axleshafts? Seems like I might of just found an upgrade for me.:) I would like to stay with cv's. I haven't had a problem yet. Thanks.

Kim.

Back