• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do I need sye for a 3.5 RE

hmm, what year? what t-case?....

smokeeaterXJ said:
hey guys, do I need a slip yoke eliminator for a RE 3.5 inch lift? Or can we just shim the axle, and if so what degree?

42 is the answer that you seek.

An SYE is not only something to reduce vibes, but a HD kit like that from Advance Adapters makes your t-case stronger. Even if you can get away without vibes on any particular lift, I would still consider a HD SYE a required upgrade for any serious off road use.

Greg

I just installed a RE6030 3.5" super-flex kit and 31's on my 01. For now I am just driving it around for break in time, but I have very minimal vibrations. After I put some miles on it I will shim and then see how it feels. Later models are supposed to be worse as far as vibrations go.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Just remember that shimming for stock, and shimming for an SYE are different. Do not point that rear pinion at the t-case with the stock setup. The angles of the 2 u-joints need to cancel each other out. Using an angle finder, check the t-case output angle and then add the correct degree shim(if needed) to the rear to make the combined angles as close to 0 as possible. For example, if the front is down 7 degrees, the rear needs to be up 7 degrees(6 degrees to account for axle wrap). If you want to be cheap and not get an SYE, you could try a t-case drop, and that will require shiming again.

Better yet, buy an SYE, and then shim it accordingly.

Greg

Had that lift a few years ago. I never had any vibes or strength issues and I wheel hard and frequently. I would drop the t-case first if you feel some vibes. Shimming the axle should be a last resort. The more you shim an axle the less oil the outer most pinion bearing gets. I run a 5.5" with only a t-case drop and have no problems. My motto is "don't replace it till it's broke". Rusty's makes a trick crossmember that drops the t-case 1 inch without sacrificing ground clearance.

With some help from NAXJA members I just put a 3.5 RE kit on an 88 with a D35 and 231 two weeks ago. Did not drop the TC or shim the axle. My TC is 2.5* down, driveshaft angle is 15* and the pinion was 5* up. On the minimal amount of driving I have done in the neighborhood there was vibes and the slip yoke of the stock shaft was out an additional 1" from where it normally rode. My 48 y.o. backside is attuned to vibes so I need them gone.

I ordered a Tom Woods version of hack and tap with a 35.5" driveshaft. The SYE is going in this coming weekend.

This is the kit I'm looking to get and am currently doing research on.I have a 99 and I'll be on the highway alot.I'm getting different stories about whether to re-gear it to maybe 4:10's.Is it ok to get by with stock gearing with this kit and 31 BFG A/T's on stock rims.I had an 89 with a 3"rough country lift with 30's and I could tell it bogged down on the highway.Most people seem to think the RE 3.5 Super ride kit is ok with stock.Any input?

My '01 with a 3.5 has vibes. I dropped the T-case for now until I can get the SYE and new drive shaft. From my research on NAXJA you can probably expect to have Vibe issues with a 3.5 (especially on a '97 or newer). Some don't, but most do.

Glen

If you have 3.73 gears you will be alright. Will taller gears be better, yes, but it won't be bad at all if you have 3.73's. Rubicon Express makes a great product but have become sooo TRENDY that there prices have gone through the roof!! I remember when they were in there early years, you could buy there lifts for a fraction of the price they go for today. Ever consider Rusty's Off-road. They make a great product and are a nice bunch of guys too! You could get a 4.5" lift for 60 -70 bucks less than R.E.'s 3.5" and fit 32 inch tires ( 33's with trimming). By the way: Rusty's, Rancho, Rubicon Express and Fabtech all get there springs manufactured by the same spring company!!! www.rustysoffroad.com
I have been jeepin' for 12 or so years and had em' all (Jeeps and lift kits) and I am fully impressed with the Rusty's kit under my 98XJ.

Back