• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock volt meter?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I have a new high amp alt in my 89 xj 4.0 and a newer optima red top battery however while driving around the volt gauge reads eratticly.Usaually it stays in the red around 9v so then sometimes I look down and the needle is reading normal?

I tested the battery after driving around for a half hour after dark with the headlights on and with a dvm and my schumaker batt charger says the batt is 100% and the alt is charging.

Is it an alt problem or is the stock volt gauge screwed?Bad ground to the volt meter or something?

jeepdeepfreak said:
I have a new high amp alt in my 89 xj 4.0 and a newer optima red top battery however while driving around the volt gauge reads eratticly.Usaually it stays in the red around 9v so then sometimes I look down and the needle is reading normal?

I tested the battery after driving around for a half hour after dark with the headlights on and with a dvm and my schumaker batt charger says the batt is 100% and the alt is charging.

Is it an alt problem or is the stock volt gauge screwed?Bad ground to the volt meter or something?
Check the contacts that the fuse slides into at the fuse block. Due to age, a galvanic reaction occurs- nothing a real tiny file can't cure. This was my problem.

Back