• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Retrofit Stud Girdle?

The lower dimensions on pretty much all of the AMC I6 blocks are the same. You'll also need to get 96-up main cap bolts as well, since they have the studs for the main girdle.

So, it should work - considering you can also swap crankshafts and camshafts between all the AMC I6 blocks - I see no trouble. The only real changes made to the 242 casting over the years were made for NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) improvements and reduction in use of material.

If you do decide to do this, I'd appreciate getting some pictures of the bolt/stud parts, next to a ruler. I'd like to measure everything (I'm sure the block end of the bolts are 1/2"-13, and the stud end is probably 3/8"-16 - but I'd like to be sure of those as well...)

5-90

5-90 said:
The lower dimensions on pretty much all of the AMC I6 blocks are the same. You'll also need to get 96-up main cap bolts as well, since they have the studs for the main girdle.

That's right but there's one small detail everyone's missed. The '96+ 4.0 cranks have shorter rod pins so that they don't interfere with the girdle. Earlier 4.0 cranks have longer rod pins so you may have interference problems. The solution would be to insert 5/16" steel washers between the main cap studs and the girdle to gain some clearance.

outlander said:
check this out:<a href="http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=869388" target="_blank">http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=869388</a>

God I hate the search engine here.... Anyone know what thread that refers to? a link or even if you remember the title so I can try to get a hit on it...

Searched:
"girdle" (title only and body)
crank girdle (both)
stud girdle
main girdle

this is the only relivant thread so far. I've got a couple of 96+ blocks that I'm parting and wondering if the Crank girdles are worth selling.

<Yes I know this is an old thread, no one cares except you dead thread wheenies>

Back