• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche D44?????

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I finally found one for a good price!Its an 88 w/76K,what is the axle tube diameter /wall thickness?Im just wondering what the likelyhood of running across a bent axle/tube/housing would be?

88 w 76k... if the price is right buy & build it, and quit publicly gloating. :)

Bending is unlikely unless the previous owner beat the snot out of his MJ.

Have fun with it

This may be a stupid question, but besides looking beefier than a D35, what do you look for when looking for D44's? ID tags or a certian characteristic? Sorry about the dumb question.

The dana44 cover has flat sides to it (like a stop sign), where-as the dana35 is more oval and rounded.
Jeep on!
--Pete
30781144.jpg

I know I cant wait to get it so I can finally figure out what holds the axle in.That recent Disc brake thread has me baffled and Im planning on doing disc brakes also!

Does the XJ D44 have 2.5" axle tubes?

I've been looking for one and sometimes I just see the small tubes and think D35.

Sometimes it's hard to see the pumpkin in the junkyard.

i think the D44 has 3" tubes.. and the model # will be cast into the webbing to the passenger side of the diff cover.. usually all crapped up but a wire brush will do the job.. there should be a tag on the cover bolts with the ratio stamped into it... sounds like time to put a $2 mini flashlite in the tool bag.. i was in a scrap yard last month and i found 3 of them just waiting to be picked.. and just because no one else pointed it out, i will.. the spring pads on the XJ and MJ axles will be different. an MJ axle needs to be converted for use in an XJ since the MJ is a SPRING UNDER set up.. i only point it out since the author of the post lists an XJ as his rig not an MJ...
mike

Also they dont have shock mounts!This one gonna get 4.56's and an ARB also.Then Ive got to regear the front(still working on an HP housing).

Light was not the problem as I had my Surefire with me. :D This yard had alot of grass and briars that had to be cleared before I could see the pumpkin. All the wheels being gone also didn't help.

I'm pretty sure I had a front D44 for a Chevy truck that had 2.5" tubes was why I was wondering.

I found one for $450 but really want one with 4.10's already in it so I may end up with a 4.10 8.25 for $350.

Ya, I've heard that MJ 44s are 3" tubes as well, anybody know for sure? I measured my XJ 44 yesterday and it is right at 2.75". Just FYI, I paid 200 for an 87 xj front HP30 nodisco and rear 44 at a pull-it place.

Marcus

Cherokee 44s and Comanche 44s are identical except for the bracketry. Mine measures 2.75" for the outer diameter of the tube.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back