• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tallest short arm lift

y-townxj

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this has allready been covered, ''i searched'', but any way im putting together a lift for my xj and was wondering, what is the talest lift coil. I can run without drop brakets or a long arms i was thinking 4.5's with a 1'' spacer but just wanted opinions to see if i could go even higher thanks

at 3.5 it isnt too bad with short arms, i wouldnt go any higher than 4.5

I ran about 6" with short arms....road like arse on road, performed fine offroad. Now I have long arms.

Having run over 5" in the past with no drop brackets, its too much stress
on the connections, coils come under a great deal more pressure, its a set
up that dosent last long if you wheel it hard.

IntrepidXJ said:
i'm running just over 5" on short arms, and it performs well offroad.....but mine is not a daily driver

Yep, been running RE 4.5 springs & 1" spacer for a bout 7 years. Rides fine to me. I run no sway bars. When I ran the Front swaybar, the ride was a bit harsh. Took it off, & it's been smooth ever since.

Rob $.02

I run 4.5 inches in the front using raising rate T-Bird V-6 springs and an extra rubber spring isolator from an XJ. Rate is 223-282 versus 180 stock. I dont daily drive but its just fine on the street. Off road its a bit rough on the washes at speed but there is no problem on the rocks or in the washes at lower speeds. It stuffs just fine and can be put onto the bump stops even with the rising rate. The softer the spring the less annoying the increased control arm angle will be.

The biggest problem is articulation. Unless you change the lower control arms and trim the lip under the shock mounting pad the lip will hit the stock control arm an limit your suspension droop. Assuming your shocks dont bottom out what you gain in lift you will loose in droop unless you run an offset tubular control arm (Terra Flex in my case) AND trim the lip under the shock mounting plate.

You definitely feel bumps trying to drive the control arms back into the mounts instead of alowing the wheel to climb over the bump due to the steeper control arm angle. If you slow down, dont drive hard into bumps (changing driving style?) it will work out just fine. I am happy with my 4.5 lift.

John

My personal experiance came from 4.5 RE springs and 2" spacer after the
sagging started (winch up front) , the connections at the body became
oblonged (repaired twice), the force of the compression the short arms were
under (stress) I think was the reason for this.
This rig is now long gone, and I can only speak for myself.

thanks for all this info its really helping me decide, I am going to order my 4.5'' coils and pitman arm from rock krawler, and i am useing super lift lca's so will my flex still be ok with the 5.5'' lift and 34's thanks again

well i got the super lift lca's, for free so im gona try those and see but what makes the rk ones so good, o and how much, can i trim off the lower shock mount to make more room for flex before i have strutcural problems for the shock. thanks

Back