• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why does my aw4 shift from 1 to 2 ?

rupert

NAXJA Forum User
put the selecter in 1 and it shifts into second on its own at normal rpm , like maybe 1500 or whatever , does not stay in first . whats the deal . other then that it operates normal

its a 87 , it has 1-2 indicator , then 3rd then drive . it just shifts as if i had it in drive , then stays in second for an extened period of time , is this not backwards to what is normal ?
i am confused

also i am having problems with my nss i did take it off and clean to get my reverse lights working , they worked for a bit but it still started in gear , does this have anything to do with it ,

rupert said:
also i am having problems with my nss i did take it off and clean to get my reverse lights working , they worked for a bit but it still started in gear , does this have anything to do with it ,

If it's starting in gear, you need to adjust the NSS (loosen nut and rotate it ). Putting the shifter in (1-2) should give you 1 and second gears. It will also upshift if necessary to protect the engine from over-reving.

Upshift? Based on my experience, selecting 1-2 will allow the transmission to downshift to 2, then to 1, but will not allow it to upshift from 1 to 2. One of the draw-backs of the transmission.

Can anyone else confirm my experience?

My MJ had the 1-2 selection and it would shift to second at ~redline when in the 1-2 position. I thought this was normal as its not a true 1,2,3,4 gear selector. All the other jeeps that I have driven were the same way as well. Yours shifting to second at such a low RPM makes me think there is another problem.

Flyfisher said:
Upshift? Based on my experience, selecting 1-2 will allow the transmission to downshift to 2, then to 1, but will not allow it to upshift from 1 to 2. One of the draw-backs of the transmission.

Can anyone else confirm my experience?
I can confirm your wrong.

sp4mike said:
My MJ had the 1-2 selection and it would shift to second at ~redline when in the 1-2 position. I thought this was normal as its not a true 1,2,3,4 gear selector. All the other jeeps that I have driven were the same way as well. Yours shifting to second at such a low RPM makes me think there is another problem.

More than likely.

ya thats what i was thinking , mine does not shift at redline it shifts as if i had in drive
does the nss have anything to do with the tcu telling it what gear it is in.

rupert said:
ya thats what i was thinking , mine does not shift at redline it shifts as if i had in drive
does the nss have anything to do with the tcu telling it what gear it is in.

Yes, the NSS tells the tranny computer when you have the shifter in (1-2) or (3). Bad or misaligned NSS means the tranny computer doesn't know you've selected anything but (D).

ya i rechecked the alignment on it , still the same , reverse lights work , but still starts in gear and upshifts as in drive , so i need a new nss? can you have the tcu switched off so u can run it manual , then have a switch for second and then use the selector for third and overdrive . I thought i read that some where ? any one have a link ?

langer1 said:
With the TCU disconnected you will not have 2nd and no lockup.
can you not have second on a switch as well as the lock up , and have the tcu on a switch , so three switches , so when on the street i just drive it with the tcu on , then when one the trail switch it off and use the selector for first , third and 4th , and switch for second and lock up if i need it , for whatever . is that not possible , this is just a trail rig , so not a dail driver . I know i read this somewhere and cant remember the link .

dizzymac said:
any I've driven w/the 1-2 selector always shifted to 2nd when it normally should and back to 1st when it should(low RPM's or speed)

See, I usually start off in 1st, then it will upshift into 2nd, but I can't remember it shifting back down to 1st that often?

Back