• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help on axle install

lil' XJ

NAXJA Forum User
This is not my first XJ & this is not the first time I've done this. BUT, for some reason, I can't get the axle back up mounted after installing 4.5" coils & 1.75" spacers. I had the 4.5" coils already installed & didn't have a problem. Now that I tried to install the spacers & new adj. control arms, I can't get the axle jacked straight up w/out the axle trying to shoot out from under it due to the coils resistance w/the spacers. I have tried a jack, comealong & ratchet straps in every way I could. Is a spring compresser tool the secret or what? In what order should I attach the different components, ie; LCA's then UCA's then tracbar or UCA's then LCA's. Should I have the lowers adj. in or out? I REALLY need some quick help. TIA

lil' XJ said:
This is not my first XJ & this is not the first time I've done this. BUT, for some reason, I can't get the axle back up mounted after installing 4.5" coils & 1.75" spacers. I had the 4.5" coils already installed & didn't have a problem. Now that I tried to install the spacers & new adj. control arms, I can't get the axle jacked straight up w/out the axle trying to shoot out from under it due to the coils resistance w/the spacers. I have tried a jack, comealong & ratchet straps in every way I could. Is a spring compresser tool the secret or what? In what order should I attach the different components, ie; LCA's then UCA's then tracbar or UCA's then LCA's. Should I have the lowers adj. in or out? I REALLY need some quick help. TIA
The way I install my axle if it was completely dropped is to attach the UCA's first and slowly keep jacking it up till I can put on LCA's. If I can't get the LCA's on because it's in the wrong spot, I put on tires and wheels and using power to rear wheels and wheel chucks I move the body in relation to the front axle till things fit.

lil' XJ said:
...Now that I tried to install the spacers & new adj. control arms, I can't get the axle jacked straight up w/out the axle trying to shoot out from under it due to the coils resistance w/the spacers...
I'm not sure I understand your predicament - sounds to me like you have all your CA's off, so here goes...
If the springs are causing your trouble, remove em until you get the CA's on.

1. disco the swaybar and trackbar
2. remove the springs and spacers
3. bolt up the CA's, (see yucca-man's site for length guidance) measure caster & adjust CA length as needed (approx 4* with your lift)
4. install spacers and springs
5. bolt up trackbar and swaybar
6. measure caster again, test drive and repeat step 3 if necessary to adjust caster for drivability

In general, only remove one CA at a time, that way the bolt holes don't get too far out of alignment. That's not always possible, but I've never had em so bad that a come-along, ratchet straps and a bottle jack couldn't get things to line up.

forgot something...

unbolt the lower shock mounts (and limt stratps if you got em) too
they will limit droop and prevent you from removing the springs w/o a compressor

i like jonboys idea, but...

when i installed my 3" springs, i used spring compressors... i know its a different height, but trust me, the compressors will make it A LOT easier... i know everyone on here hates them, but if ur real careful, and take your time, you will be fine

Thanks for all ya'lls help. I think I will take the springs out, attach the CA's with TB & TR disconnected. Then use springs compressor's on one side, then decompress, then compress the other side, then decompress. Should I put the tires on after CA's( that is how I've done it 3X's before this, but w/ smaller lifts) or leave them off until I'm done w/ the springs? I really appreciate it. It is raining outside now, but I want to have a plan for when it stops momentarily(sp?).

Back