• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do I get these bolts off! Help!

smokeeaterXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys we're doin an RE 3.5 inch lift on a 98 XJ, but weve hit a bit of a snag. We cant get the star bolts for the sway bar off. Are they pressed in? or how can u get thes off? theyre the lower bolts where the new quick disconnects go. weve tried drilling it out but the metal is too tough. help please... :(

On my 95 the bolts have some "teeth" cut length wise to the bolt where it goes through the mount welded to the axle... I just sprayed them down good with PB blaster and used a BFH to remove them..

Using a BFH to get them out will bend the brackets if your not careful.

What I did:
I cut off the head of the pressed in bolts flush with the bracket. These are bolts are splined BTW. I also cut off the threaded end, flush with the bracket. I then drilled out the remaining portion of the bolt. I selected a bit size that was just a hair smaller than the bolt size. I then used a punch to tap the remaining shrapnel out. Came out pretty easy. PB Blaster was helpful too. HTH

lots of heat, big clamp

use clamp as a press, heat, tighten clamp some more, heat, tighten clamp some more,....

grind the head of the bolt down flush with the bracket. Stack washers on the stud then put the nut back on. Wrench on it with a rachet and they will pull right out.

I've also seen many people say that they've used a pitman arm puller to press them out.

You may not want to try this, but I used my bottle jack and put it between the bracket and the brake rotow (I know, but it worked) and the BFH. Mine (96) were pressed in. good luck.

I used the BFH approach and knocked mine out. Be advised: I shot mine across work shop and hit another person! Zoinks! Everything turned out OK. Then used a smalled sized hammer to straighten bent brackets. (also braced brackets initially).

You didn't say what year, your profile shows 98, if that is the one you are working on then you will have knurled bolts (looks like splines) the older ones just have a bolt with threads all the way to the head. As you can see from the responses there are lots of ways to get these out, what has worked well for me on these is a ball joint press, it will push them right out without bending anything. You can rent one for free from Autozone (just requires a deposit).

if all that doesn't work I got some plastic explosive that will bring those little fawkers right outta there. Have you drive a 12 gauge with a 3 inch magnum slug round?

Back