• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a Dana 30 out of a 88 wrangler fit a 99 XJ?

tstaples

NAXJA Forum User
found an ad for this....

Dana 30 out of 88 wrangler. 4:11 gear ratio. great condition.

I have a 99 XJ that has 3.55 gears in it now and I need to upgrade to a 4.10 front and rear. Question is, would a 4.11 and a 4.10 rear mate up together to allow the 4x4 to work. And, will it even fit?

It's a 100 bucks and if it will fit I'd like to grab it for when i do the swap out... only if it will fit and will mate up with an XJ 4.10 rear.

thanks

4.11 and 4.10 will be fine I beleive you can run mismatched gears up to .25 safely. I think the year of XJ you have has a LPDana30 but I dont see why a HP wont fit.

it should fit, but you will have to change it from a leaf spring setup to a control arm setup. unless that is the route you are going. oh, you'll have to change the gears too.

Fuel90 said:
it should fit, but you will have to change it from a leaf spring setup to a control arm setup. unless that is the route you are going. oh, you'll have to change the gears too.

Why?

Don't do it. You would have to buy all new mounts. As stated before, it is set up for leaf springs and your XJ is Coils. Also the passenger side inner axle shaft is a 2-piece design. It is Vac actuated and a POS. I had one on my 87 XJ. It would be much cheaper and stronger to just regear your current axle. If you do not have a HP and want one, just find one out of another XJ without the passenger side axle disconnect. Also the u-joints on the 88 are 260's. Your current axle's are 297, which is way stronger.

Last edited:
it's easier to take the gears out of an axle on a truck and swap it with mine? really? i heard that was a bitch of a job.... seriously though, say i buy a crashed parts cherokee for chump change that has 4.10 gearing in it and want to just swap the gears...

how much a job would that be for front and rear..

it wouldn't make more sense to just swap the entire axle housings ?

Ok... in my searching i'm getting pretty confused here... maybe someone can help me out.. i'm a bit of a newbie.. sorry

D44 or D35 in the rear
vacuum disconnect or not (i'm told by my buddy that it's the weakest point on the D30)
do they make D30's without them, shoudl i be looking for that
ABS or no ABS

what do i really need to look for with a 99 XJ?

my buddy's no use cause he just keeps telling me that my truck is inferior to his cause i'm stuck at 3.55 gearing and he's upgraded his to 4.10/4.11. he's a pain in my ass

Setting up gears is a precise job. You have to get the correct backlash, pinion depth, contact patch, bearing preloads, etc, etc. But it only costs about $150-$200 to get it done. New gears cost about $130 plus $80 for the installation kit.

Old gears, could be used. I wouldn't recommend it. You would still have to get the install kit and set them up to the new axle housing. You would also have to make sure you got the correct gears. A HP axle's gears will not work in a low pinion axle. A TJ Dana 30 will not fit a XJ or YJ axle.

One more thing to consider is the carrier. If your Dana 30 carrier is for a ratio numerically below 3.73, You will need a new one to fit the 4.10 gears.

Go look for a 4 cylinder XJ. They came with 4.10 gears. But they are few and far between.

Setting up that YJ axle would cost alot more.
$400 for the mounting brackets
$200 for welding (maybe more)
$150 for the Rock Loc (it will control the disconnect axle)

tstaples said:
Ok... in my searching i'm getting pretty confused here... maybe someone can help me out.. i'm a bit of a newbie.. sorry

D44 or D35 in the rear
vacuum disconnect or not (i'm told by my buddy that it's the weakest point on the D30)
do they make D30's without them, shoudl i be looking for that
ABS or no ABS

what do i really need to look for with a 99 XJ?

my buddy's no use cause he just keeps telling me that my truck is inferior to his cause i'm stuck at 3.55 gearing and he's upgraded his to 4.10/4.11. he's a pain in my ass

If you have a 99, I would bet that you have a HP Dana 30. It does not have a vac disconnect. Jeep stopped that well before your year. Your rear will be either a Dana 35 or a Chrysler 8 1/4" axle. Does it look like a Stop sign on the bottom? If it does than it is a 8 1/4. If it looks oval than it is the Dana 35. You would only have a Dana 44 if someone swapped it in. They only came in North American XJ's from 87-90. And I have only seen them in 87 and 88.

Anything else? I'm on a Navy ship in the Middle East and have nothing better to do at 1130 at night.

I am going through this right now. I have a yj diff with 4.10's sitting in my garage right now. Yes, i did find a few xj's with d30 4.10's at the wreckers but they had a vaccum disconnect. My current setup has a non disconnect D30. What i plan on doing is pulling the ring/pinion and carrier from the YJ and bring it to a shop for a install into the xj.

I believe what they are trying to tell you is that the YJ front D30 is a LOW PINION model and the ring and pinion WILL NOT work in your XJ because it is HIGH PINION.

You will have to find the HP D30 axle to get the gears out of, which would be a 4cyl XJ with 4.10's, or you will need to buy gears that came out of a HP D30.

Swapping the YJ axle into your XJ would be an expensive undertaking (not that you mentioned doing this). The XJ axle, with or without vacuum disconnect, is still high pinion and would work.

Tally_XJ said:
I believe what they are trying to tell you is that the YJ front D30 is a LOW PINION model and the ring and pinion WILL NOT work in your XJ because it is HIGH PINION.

You will have to find the HP D30 axle to get the gears out of, which would be a 4cyl XJ with 4.10's, or you will need to buy gears that came out of a HP D30.

Swapping the YJ axle into your XJ would be an expensive undertaking (not that you mentioned doing this). The XJ axle, with or without vacuum disconnect, is still high pinion and would work.

A YJ does have a high pinion (reverse rotation) Dana 30. The gears would be the same.

-Mike

Tally_XJ said:

ummm..... all yj's have high pinion. As long as the xj has a HP d30 it will work.

Was doing some searching on this and was wondering something. Can you use the carrier? Is it the same. I know the Xj has c-clip axle shafts. So what I'm trying to get at is, are the carriers different due to the c-clip or does that not matter?

The carriers are different at the 3.73 ratios.

As for D30 C-clip axleshafts? I don't think so. Some of them had a disconnect system on the long side shaft.

As for the original question, I would find a D30 out of a 4 Cyl TJ. It is a direct bolt in however Low pinion.

Back