• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

early signs of hub failure

RyanM

NAXJA Forum User
i got a pretty good sense of it, but i wanted to hear some inputs. i have slight vibes from the front at low speeds. narrowing it down... thanks

skyjackedxj96 said:
i got a pretty good sense of it, but i wanted to hear some inputs. i have slight vibes from the front at low speeds. narrowing it down... thanks
click click click click rattle rattle rattle rattle

Vibes at low speeds? Put the vehicle on the jackstands, pull the hub and turn it by hand sand see what it feels like. You could also pull the brake purts off and push up on the stub and see if you can feel any play in there.

thanks,- i had one go out on my 88 but the wheel just fell off and the brake caliper held it on- was no warning, i was probably to ignorant to tell if there were, way back then.

skyjackedxj96 said:
thanks,- i had one go out on my 88 but the wheel just fell off and the brake caliper held it on- was no warning, i was probably to ignorant to tell if there were, way back then.

How many miles when it failed?

Thx, Phil

Replaced my XJ hubs a few months ago. The hubs would whine/hum in a rotational pattten at lower speeds 10 - 35 mph and growl at higher speeds over 55. Also had vibrations over 45 mph but had a bad track bar which I'm sure didn't help. Also had slight vibrations from 10 - 40 mph but that track bar might have been the culprit.

One hub failed at about 190,000 miles...the other was fine replaced both. Both u-joints were ok...one was a little dry but replaced both.

Last edited:
Back