• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank removal

mwm

NAXJA Forum User
My tank leaks like a siv so i picked a new one up and I cant get my old one out. The bolts that hold the straps in are rusted closed and It looks like im going to have to cut the threaded rods that the straps are bolted onto and make some new ones out of ready-rod. Anyone have any experience pullin these tanks out or makin new things for the staps to hang onto?

if you search you'll find a thread about 3 months old or so. It had the solution to your exact problem, and had pictures of the all thread replacement parts.

Ya i tried to search but im having some difficulties, Was the thread started by you? What the hell do I search for? Gas tank removal..lol

Ya i know how to remove the gas tank but the bigass lag bolts that go up into the unibody that the straps bolt onto are rusted to balls. I cant loosen the nut which I need to do inorder to drop the gas tank out. Im wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, how did they solve it. Thanks Please dont go search nazi on my ass,

Cut them. You can cut about 1/2 way through then get a wrench on the nut & break them off. JIM.

jfiscus said:
I cut the bolts off & drilled up though their brackets into the cabin & bolted new bolts all the way through there.
For new bolts did you just use some ready rod or just a reallly long bolt?

I took my tank off the other day, make sure you drain it first.

I heated the nuts with a propane torch and they came right off with normal effort from a 14mm wrench.

Be very careful around the plastic cover, the torch will obviously melt that if the flame comes in contact with it, or your overheat the area and get it hot enough to melt the plastic.

ALSO, I'D ONLY DO THIS WITH THE TANK ALL SEALED UP AND YOUR SURE THE TANK HAS NO LEAKS, OPEN FLAME NEAR GAS FUMES, BAD COMBO.

Ummm, you just said your tank is leaking, well there goes that idea. But, so does cutting the bolts with anything that creates sparks.

I'd drain the tank and get air circulating around there to move any of the fumes, if you've got an air compressor, you could pull the fuel pump out and force air down the filler neck and purge the fumes out of the tank.

To drain the tank, since my XJ tank doesn't have a drain, I disconnected the return line from the tank and ran it to a gas jug, then started and ran the motor, all the return fuel pumped into the jug instead of back into the tank, ran it till the tank was dry and the motor stalled out.

heres my pic everyone is talkin about. i wouldnt sudgest this as a long term fix, once you save up the money just go and get the real things from the stealership. I belive i used 5/16 threaded ros and it all costed me under 5 bucks
gashook6ae.jpg

Rick Anderson said:
Anypower tool can make a spark, I'd think about a hack saw.

You not considering purging all the fumes out?
Hack saw sounds like it might be safer. No i havent really considered the purging. Im planning on closing my eyes and cutting ;) Thanks that threaded rod is now the plan!

Back