• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manifold Bolt Size?

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
Need to know the sizes of the manifold bolts for a 1991 MJ Comanche I-6. Am installing new stainless headers and want to replace the intake and exhaust manifold bolts a stainless set while I'm in there. Thanks for the info.

Metric Size?
Thread Pitch?
Underhead Length?
Quantity?

resurrection, I think they're 3/8"-16 but need to find out can't find one

3/8"-16x1-1/4", make sure you reuse the dished washers under the screw heads!

I prefer using Si-brz or Al-brz (silicon bronze or aluminum bronze) for a number of reasons. If I can't get those, I'lll use SAE Grade 5 carbon steel (they retain more stregnth longer than SAE Grade 8.)

The OEM studs (one at either end, possibly one in the top centre) are threaded 3/8"-16 on the cylinder head end and 3/8"-24 on the outer end. There are valid reasons for doing something like that - but they don't apply in this case (the joint doesn't need that much strength.) You can cut new studs out of 3/8"-16 threaded rod, I typically use brass. You can also get carbon steel hardware store pieces - either way, get them about 2" long. Make sure you get new nuts (brass or bronze) if you get new studs - the OEM nuts are threaded 3/8"-24.

I am building a chart of known fastener sizes on my site (link in sig) in the Tech section. You may want to make a note of it...

Back