• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion Angle

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
Yep I know this has been covered from top to bottom, which is where I'll pick this up at. My top angle from my TC is pointed down at 5.5 degrees, my pinion is pointed up at 6.5 degrees. Is that 1 degree positive or negative ?
I'm I OK where I am ? I know I'm better then I was because I was 12 degrees out before.
  • :compwork:I did do a search, but couldn't find needed info.:compwork:
Thanks

this is what i am understanding that you have -

rjqt7b.jpg

if that is the case -
Assuming we are talking about the rear driveshaft with leaves in the rear -
you must have a Double Cardan (near Constant Velocity) shaft with an Slip yoke eliminator -

and ideally you would want your pinion angle to be 3.5*-4.5* or 1-2* less than the transfer case angle to account for the axle wrap that occurs under load...

more info here -
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

boise49ers said:
Yes right angles, but just one piece shaft. Orignal driveshaft. This is about what they look like on this link. I have no vibration. They are basically only one degree away from each other in angle. I'm just wondering if I'll bind or wrap with the 1 degree more pointed up ? I'll shoot a pic and post it.http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/worksheet%20sc.jpg

linky no worky -

and id like to call attention to my error above - the geometry in my post above is for the 1 piece still slip yoke shaft - not a CV shaft -

a CV shaft should have the pinion angle the same as the driveshaft angle minus 2*

if you are vibration free and within 1* run it man - if it aint broke - dont fix it -

there are quite a few people - myself included - who have "improper" driveshaft geometry that works - and if it works - then dont change it!

XJ_ranger said:
a CV shaft should have the pinion angle the same as the driveshaft angle minus 2*

Could you tell me why two degrees? Is it so when under power the pinion will rotate into the proper alingment?

Thanks

Now you'll see I have quite a bit of yoke sticking out, but when my 44 goes in I'll gain around a 1/2 inch back inside, I have added 2 inches of Bumpstop too so it shouldn't snap the end off the TC. Hey Opie see those new 34s I got ? Sweet. Rides like a brick now. They wander a bit too, but I've had LTBs before , nothin a little extra work at the wheel can't handle.
angle.jpg

tompatjr said:
Could you tell me why two degrees? Is it so when under power the pinion will rotate into the proper alingment?

Thanks

Ding ding ding we have a winner......

boise49ers said:
Now you'll see I have quite a bit of yoke sticking out, but when my 44 goes in I'll gain around a 1/2 inch back inside, I have added 2 inches of Bumpstop too so it shouldn't snap the end off the TC. Hey Opie see those new 34s I got ? Sweet. Rides like a brick now. They wander a bit too, but I've had LTBs before , nothin a little extra work at the wheel can't handle.
angle.jpg

Id say if it aint broke dont fix it.....you said you have no vibes correct!

Back