• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who still has their stock CA's

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
Due to some unforseen "problems" I've decided to go with RE drop brackets. As a result, I'm going to try to re-use a set of stock CA's and possibly reinforce them. (My AM arms are toast)

Does anyone still have their stock LCA's that they want to "donate" to the cause?

Thanks in advance.

John,

Believe it or not, I am still running my stock control arms both upper and lower. I am on my second set (first set I folded them pretty good, front wheels under the front doors, ask me about it when you want a good laugh).

I have considered strengthening another set also, but have found lots of problems with it. I think you would be better off with a new set of arms instead of strengthening the stock ones. But in general the stock ones will hold up pretty well for most situations at least for a "period" of time.

Michael

I want to hear a good laugh!

I boxed my stock rear control arms on my '64 El Camino. They have seemed to help out with the launch at the track. Alot more solid. Now they don't twist. I used 1/8" plate, and heated up the ends to bend around the cuves. Too much heat and the rubber bushings will melt. I replaced mine with Poly ones for the A-body.

I'll do them for you if you want.

IM001414.jpg

John,
Mine are in the Garage, less than 60k on 'em. You can have 'em.

I swear I should have mine, but don't remember seeing them in the garage.

I will check later

Jason

2xtreme said:
John,

I have considered strengthening another set also, but have found lots of problems with it. I think you would be better off with a new set of arms instead of strengthening the stock ones. But in general the stock ones will hold up pretty well for most situations at least for a "period" of time.

Michael

I have to agree with Michael. I wouldn't bother with stock ones. I think you would lose too much flex. If you strengthen them they won't be able to twist thus losing your flex.

What aftermarket arms are you running??
Rebuildable?

Hans

I'm currently running Rusty's fixed length arms with rubber bushings.
When I did a post-trip check on Sunday, I noticed that my CA mounts were mushroomed, and one arm has a sizeable dent in the bushing area (1/2 inch or so)
I figured that I'd try and run them just to see how it would turn out without spending the coin on a new set of adjustables that may or may not be needed with the new DB's (I have adjustable uppers)

That being said, what is the feasibility of repairing the bushing sleeve?

Thanks for the replies,

John

Having run DB's for awhile, my concern would be making a taco out of the stock arm. I've seen you wheel your rig. ;)

I run RE fixed arms and they have seen a lot of abuse that the stock stamped metal arms would likely have buckled under. On long trips I carry a set of stock arms as spares to get home but I'm not sure I would want them as my primary choice.

That being said, you might want to look for WJ arms since they are boxed steel all the way around, already have a nifty bend in them for more wheel clearance and are a fairly stout option for stock arms.

ARWJlca01_sm.jpg

Here's a nice writeup:

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/BSlowerWJctrlArms/WJ_LCA.htm

You should have several options for either repairing what you have, modifying what you have, or useing them till they no longer work and carry a spare set. John is right with the other arms being a good alternative.

Eli has a good idea with boxing the tube but it will not work well on the front XJ arms, it will loose all the flex, ride bad, destroy bushings and will break the bushing sleeve to arm welds. Johns alternative is a better solution.

Are Rusty's arms round tube? What about cutting down to the length you need and putting some JJ's on the end, either weld them on or weld a bung in them to accept the threaded JJ end?

I will tell the story on the trail or around a campfire, not typing it:)

GI-John said:
That being said, what is the feasibility of repairing the bushing sleeve?

What about cutting off the Bushing sleeve and replacing it???

Spidertrax has sleeves machined for OEM rubber bushings for $10 I think. Would have to check when I get home.

If you are careful and grind slowly I don't know why this method wouldn't work. Plus it is cheap.

Hans

XJourney said:
What about cutting off the Bushing sleeve and replacing it???

Spidertrax has sleeves machined for OEM rubber bushings for $10 I think. Would have to check when I get home.

If you are careful and grind slowly I don't know why this method wouldn't work. Plus it is cheap.

Hans

I forgot to get this for you
http://www.rocklogic4x4.com/store/i...=102&prevaction=category&previd=7&prevstart=0

Here is the cheap solution buy just one. $12
xjbushing_sleeve_th.jpg

Or you could buy these at $40 a peice RE3792
RE3792.jpg

Hans, My hero....well, not really , but thanks.

That is honestly the best solution considering that the other 3 are perfect. I really appreciate the link.

Back