• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats needed bolt up wise for an AW4

Jeffro600

NAXJA Forum User
All electronics and spline counts aside, what is needed to bolt up an AW4 to replace an AX-15 on a 93 4.0? Just the crossmember for the auto? Im talking just the bare minimum to bolt it in....not concerned with electronics as im going to be converting it to a manual shift.

Last edited:
Tranny cooler, in most cases a new ecu is recommended, tranny mount.

It's late and I'm really tired, so this is going to be a bit of a ramble...

ECU doesn't need replaced if you're going manual control. You'll need the AW4 tranny mount. Not sure on a 93, but the AW4 tranny mount bolted right up to my ax15 cross member. You'll need the longer (3" longer) xfer case linkage rod and the plate that bolts on the side of the tranny where the linkage attaches. You'll need to redrill hole for the linkage pivot on the body side bracket 2" further forward. AW4 is 1" longer for driveshaft length planning. NSS at least for the backup lights. For the tranny cable, you might need to swap the plate on the throttle where is attaches and grab the bracket that holds the cable. On the floor shifter, grab the shifter plus the ~1' round mounting plate, shifter cable (bitch to route on my 89, but I thinks it's much shorter on a 93) and any trim pieces. Flex plate, inspection cover, yank out the old pilot bearing. I think that's it....

Back