• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hummer Tires

ExNews4XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I came across a really good deal on some GOODYEAR BIAS WRANGLER RTII Tires and am just trying to see if anyone has experience with these. They are the tire that the military used on Hummers for alot of years and seem tough but I don't know how well they would grip slick rock and normal trail obsactles. I know they are 16.5s and would be running beadlocks with them.

Thanks for any help

never ran them personally but i was with a guy who was running a set.....they suck.....waiting 40 minutes for someone to get up a rock obstacle on 36 inch hummer tires is not fun, especially when guys on 33 muds are flyin up. If it were my rig i would just drop the bucks on a set of tsl's

Consider the price of the beadlock rims to get an idea of how much a bargain these may be. Let the total installed price be a guide.

I drove a HMMV in the reserves enough to find the tires are ok. I always thought they were heavy and stiff - they did get good traction in mudholes - but part of the feel of the tires may have been masked by the suspension. Of course, the HMMV platform is no lightweight.
High speed manuevers, like taking an exit ramp and braking to 35 were dicey. It could break away more easy than Cherokee. Being on a Cherokee would be a lot more like any other larger tire - lost braking action due to rotating tire weight, slower acceleration, etc. And they are bias ply, which compromises traction - the tread won't flex as well as a radial, even aired down. They were designed to withstand abuse in poor conditions far from paved roads, not necessarily as the answer to extreme traction situations. In the field you try to avoid challenges and get the job done as soon as possible.

They arent a bad street tire that might see some dirt, but they arent a great offroad tire. I've seen a couple people buy them now, and replace them just as quickly. The last guy started shopping for new tires before they even got installed.

Back