• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C clip dana 35

FreeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 with stock axles, I have never done anything to them and as I understand 84-89 came with the non c clips and then in 90 started to use c clips. Is this true? Also I currently have an RE 4.5" kit with 32 x 11.50's I want to get the interco TRXUS tires in 33 x 12.50, any trouble in my future with stock axles? Thanks.

FreeXJ said:
as I understand 84-89 came with the non c clips and then in 90 started to use c clips.

I had an 88 w/ c-clips in it. That said, all you need to do to find out if yours is c-clip or not is pop off the tire and drum and look for a hole in the axle flange. If there is a hole then it is non c-clip, otherwise it is c-clip. (the hole is to fit a socket through so you can get to the bolts that hold in the non c-clip axle.)

32-33" tires will be "OK" on stock axles if you are open and gentle.

The non c-clip isn't any stronger than the c-clip axles. The difference is that without the c-clip, WHEN you break an axle the bearing/seal retainer doesn't allow the broken shaft to "walk" out of the tube, leaving you with a 3-wheel Jeep.

33s are very questionable on a Dana 35. People do it, but you have to drive smooth. If you use power as the first option for any obstacles you encounter, you WILL break a D35 running 33s, and probably even 32s.

I am in the same delimma right now, running 33's on that D35. I am leaving it open and searching for a D44 or Ford 8.8 to swap in. There is an article in the Jp archives on how to upgrade/truss a D35, but when it really all comes down to it, the price and the frustration aren't worth it. While breaking a shaft is pretty common, people tend to forget the elements that cause that failure on this specific axle. Axle tube flexing is one source, pinion failure is another common symptom of the D35. With all these negatives, it's a wonder why Chrysler keeps rolling them down the production line.

Thanks, I guess I'll keep looking for a 44. My dad owns a towing company and we occaisionally get XJ's in. Maybe one of them will have it.

Back