• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88' mustang o2 sensor in an 97XJ?

xjeepster

NAXJA Forum User
my buddy has a spare set of o2 sensors he bought for his 88 mustang... will one of these fit my upstream 97 xj o2? i know the part numbers are different, but i also know that alot of 02 sensors are interchangable.... any one have an anwer? if it will work it will save me fifty bucks.... thanks

In general if the years where closer then i would possibly try it but since the years are so different and so far apart i would not. Sensors and car ECU have evolved overtime with different ratios and parameters. Newer car newer more detailed information .

pete

it may, depends on the system. There are two kinds of 02 sensors, ones that change resistance and ones that generate voltage. Most of the specs are the same, you can even buy generic 02 sensors, so long as you know what type they are.

Not sure about the Mustang O2 sensor, but I've used a Ford O2 sensor of some flavor (with a heater circuit). The wires were the same color (same number of wires) the plug was different (a splice job). Worked well in a Renix, doubt it will work in a late model.

Back