• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Purchase?

IcedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I have decided I think I am going to get the Rough Country 6.5" lift. And either run a set of 34x10.50 LTB's or TSLs (if they still make that size cannot find it anywhere) or possible 35x12.50 Kumho MT's.

What do y'all think if this setup?

Thumbs up!!
Just keep us posted on the progress... and we love photos...

is say 35's, and if you go TSL think about getting the TSL SX, i dont have any personal experience with them but i do with a tire without a sufficient sidewall, the SX's reinforced sidewall will help a lot

I had their 6.5" X series kit, alot of people bash their stuff, but for the price, they are hard to beat. You will definently need an SYE kit, it comes w/ a pitman which is a bonus, but I also got their brake lines which would also be a good idea. The next upgrade you will want to do is a knuckle to knuckle steering conversion, or better yet a hi steer.
The only problem I had w/ the install was the pitman arm was a little sloppy. The nut would bottom out on the splined portion of the output shaft before the pitman could be pressed on tight enough - it must have a slight taper to it, but it was an easy fix, just put 2 or 3 washers on there that are big enough to slip over the splines which pushes the pitman up farther. It took me about a 1/4 inch of washers to get it tight. If you have a winch and aftermarket bumper installed, you will eventually need a BB. If you dont have a winch and aftermarket bumper - call me, and we can change that! 8)

Pat
MG Fab Offroad

I am going to need coil spacers b/c I havea 5.9L in it. I have not looked at the hi steer or knuckle to knuckle...does not sound like a bad idea.

Yeah i was thinking of doing the SYE and possibly a front ds out of an auto XJ, but since I am going to put a 44 in the rear I thought the extra inch from the 44 would allow me to run with stock rear.

And no I do not have a winch bumper or winch. I am working on getting the 5.9L in and getting this lift going. See I am short 1 essential item...a digital camera, so I cannot show progress and what not.

mgfabpd said:
I had their 6.5" X series kit, alot of people bash their stuff, but for the price, they are hard to beat. You will definently need an SYE kit, it comes w/ a pitman which is a bonus, but I also got their brake lines which would also be a good idea. The next upgrade you will want to do is a knuckle to knuckle steering conversion, or better yet a hi steer.
The only problem I had w/ the install was the pitman arm was a little sloppy. The nut would bottom out on the splined portion of the output shaft before the pitman could be pressed on tight enough - it must have a slight taper to it, but it was an easy fix, just put 2 or 3 washers on there that are big enough to slip over the splines which pushes the pitman up farther. It took me about a 1/4 inch of washers to get it tight. If you have a winch and aftermarket bumper installed, you will eventually need a BB. If you dont have a winch and aftermarket bumper - call me, and we can change that! 8)

Pat
MG Fab Offroad

Why would a link suspension with a Panhard bar ever need a dropped pitman arm if the Panhard bar on the frame remains in the stock position? Does their kit drop the track bar bracket at the frame?

With the horrendous cracking XJ's already experience at the steering box, I can see no good result of adding even more leverage to the steering box.

IcedXJ said:
I am going to need coil spacers b/c I havea 5.9L in it. I have not looked at the hi steer or knuckle to knuckle...does not sound like a bad idea.

Yeah i was thinking of doing the SYE and possibly a front ds out of an auto XJ, but since I am going to put a 44 in the rear I thought the extra inch from the 44 would allow me to run with stock rear.

And no I do not have a winch bumper or winch. I am working on getting the 5.9L in and getting this lift going. See I am short 1 essential item...a digital camera, so I cannot show progress and what not.

Curious, what year 5.9 are you putting in?

IcedXJ said:

There is a guy around here running that kit with a 44. He kept his stock D35 driveshaft, and it bottomed out bad enough to blow the seals on the t-case output. There are some differences with t-cases, etc. so this may not be a problem for you, but at a minimum I would recommend cycling the rear fully before deciding that a stock shaft is good enough.

Travis

okay well I will check into it. I do no plan on wheeling to hard until I get to Indiana. But that is a good idea, maybe I give Tom Woods a call.

IcedXJ said:
the AMC 5.9L...It has been built up. I thought it would be nice to stick with Jeep.

I see you are in California, I assume you are aware of the rather strict rules regarding engine swaps? That is why I asked what year the 360 was....a late model 360 from a Waggy might just scrape by the rules for a Renix XJ.......which I assume you have?

IcedXJ said:
I do no plan on wheeling to (sic) hard until I get to Indiana.

Does anyone else see the irony in this statement?

yeah a lot of shit keeps happening...lol..Money issues as well as family...Lets just say I am refraining from showing my gratitude to my moms bf face. I hurt my back doing his work today...I talked with some people and talked about the handling characteristics and they said to go with smaller lift first..then work up.

Back