• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new bastard lift and SYE !!!PICS!!!

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
Originaly I did a 2" BB with trimmed fenders. I used 3/4 spacers up front with V8 ZJ coils. In back I cut the eyes off a stock main leaf to add to my pack and a 3/4 shackle. At the time I figured I gained 2.5" in back and 2" up front. Pro Comp 3000 all around (pieces of crap) with JKS discos. Real happy with 265/75/16 (31.6) No rubbing with 1" bumpstops F/R

P7300001.jpg

I decided to go bigger to fit 285/75/16s (32.8) and regear to 4.88s (soon). I didn't want to go more than 4" total because of various reasons. I thought I didn't have far to go. I measured using the info in this link

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26622

I found out I had 1" at best over stock F/R

before1.jpg

Must have settled some. So, I decided to buy a used 3.5 RE lift. LCAs, brake lines, DTs, and coils. In back, I was going to do a mutt pack. I looked for suitable candidates. A lot of leaf packs I though were 2.5", were actually 2 3/8, 2 3/4,.... Saw a MJ and it had nice thin leafs that were spring under. I wasn't thrilled at first, but after looking, I saw why people use them. So I gave them a shot. At $9.99 each from the u-pull yard and a center bolt, I figured I didn't have much to loose.

after1.jpg

I used the whole MJ pack. Cut down the main leaf, put it under my main leaf, put my XJ overload leaf under that, and bolted it up. Very happy with the ride, and got 3.5" more than I started with. With the 3/4 shackle, and the 3/4 spacer up front, I am sitting at 3.75"/4.5" F/R. A bit more than I wanted, but I figure it will settle. It's been a week and it is still 1/2" higher than the front with full tank. I can live with that.

Had to do something about my rear shaft. Had vibes w/ first lift, did homemade TC drop. Took that off. I have a 242 and not many options other than RE HnT, or TW HnT. Decided to go this route.

http://www.gloeco.com/drive_shaft_SYE.htm

I cut it down and machined out the end to press fit to the shaft by the seal for more strength and so it won't wobble.

yoke1.jpg

yoke2.jpg

Inside there is still 1.25 of spline contact. I bolted up a 99 front shaft that I got from a parts yard for $70. Figured the late model was worth it. A month later there was a 98 in my u-pull yard (very rare) and I got that shaft for $15.

done.jpg

slip.jpg

All said and done, 4" lift, SS brake lines, CV shaft and SYE, with spare DS......$510! And trust me, I am no mechanical/fabrication genius. I just took the time to learn. Using homemade BPEs, and bumpstops. Still have to redrill trackbar mount, zero bumpsteer, no death woble (thank god) and still need alignment. Tires soon. Next up, regear my Isuzu 44 to 4.88, throw in ez-locker, and throw it under the XJ. Regear front to 4.88 and install Trutrac. Will be done by the end of the month. Can't wait to break it in!!!

Sorry about the pictures! Guess I still have more to learn.

sounds badass man...i have a 98 black jeep about 6 inches of lift..and wishin i saved more pennies by fabbing things like you....but hell..im only 18 yrs old...nice lookin jeep

Thats the way to do it :cheers:

I'm sure any number of people will come along and tell you how much you suck. But some of us chaps don't have the $$$ for the bling, we just make due.

Looks good. Where are the final pictures of the jeep with the lift on it?

The last pic of the XJ is with the new lift Bud. Wish I knew why my pics are big. I re-sized them on photobucket. Sorry peeps! The rear settled 1/2" since putting them on. Still 1/2" taller than the front. I will be putting on a tire carrier and hi-lift, so that will help a bit. So far they feel good and flexy. Haven't flexed it up yet cause of my brake lines. I will be doing that real soon with the rear axle install.

Sounds good. I need to get to work on my junk so we can go wheeling soon.

Back