• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vacuum disconnect

grundan

NAXJA Forum User
is the connector on the d30 front axle just a compression fitting? mine has slipped off and keeps coming off, its greasy and that may not be helping it stay on. sprayed some cleaner on it a few mins. ago, will clean it up and try again tomorrow afternoon.

Those connectors used to be rubber fittings that fit tight onthe vacuum motor. Unfortunately, the vacuum motor is directly under the oil filter and over the years, oil has dripped down onto the rubber connectors and made them swell up and get soft.

I simply cut mine off and used small pieces of new vacuum hose to replace the connector. Works the same. Just make sure you get the connections right or your axle wont lock in.

I just did the Posi Lock cable mod and did away with the vacuum altogether.

thanks, I might try and hook up some new vacuum hose. glad I saw it before I actually needed the front axle to pull.
gonna search the conversion you mentioned also.

Or just get a non disco D30 and quit hassling with the whole thing.

jayuu said:
make your own posi-lock. costs about $30 and works.
I plan on this mod soon. I saw a tech page on myjeeprocks.com and he used a bicycle brake cable. Im leaning towards a motor cycle throttle cable. Just so I can have a HARLEY STICKER just like every one else

Keep the disonnect axle. If you ever install a locker up front and also plan to use your Jeep on the highway, you will be glad you kept it.

As far as the Posi Lock cable, I recommend getting a 10 foot PTO cable kit from a tractor supply shop. Cost about $30 but is extremely heavy duty and is solid wire core, not twisted cable that can fray.

I appreciate the PTO cable tip. I have seen these at the local Tractor Supply and wondered why the "other" kit cost $100 more.

To cure the connector slipping off the disconnect housing on the axle, you could use a ty-rap nylon strap from the electrical supply aisle at your local parts store. It won't fall off - but it won't help oil swelled rubber seal tightly enough in the long run.

I took the whole vacuum tubing mess off and flipped the disco unit on the axle, using a hose clamp inside it to keep the shifter fork engaged. Now the working end of the fork rod points toward the trans, the way I want the cable to operate.

Now I know what to get next.

Back