• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how should i lift her for 33s

dirtdogger17

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard great things about rubicon express, and i heard alot of bad things about rusty's..i know there are some hardcore rusty's fans out there, but what brand should i go with to stuff 33s with minimal trimming if any...i'm still a student -aka budget wheeler..im runnin 31s under a skyjacker/tomken mutt lift now but im selling it to a buddy..and i have a bad itch, not so much on my genitals anymore (just kidding), but i think its inchitis :) so i wanna go to 33s..i know ill need a sye and ill prob swap in an 8.8 (to be safe) with 4.10s and get a dana 30 front from a 4-banger..thats a decent chunk of change there, but rather than doin a junkyard lift, im just gonna get a kit so i wont hafta mess around with fabbing or guessing/correcting steering angles myself..what kit do ya think i should go with?..a non-thrashed used kit isnt out of the question either

I'm going for the 4.5 inch rustys and putting 33s under it. May have to trim it a bit, but the shop I'm buying it from showed me one of their own rigs that has the setup. the 33s fit without trimming. I can't wait to get it lifted!

I think DPG Offroad's 4" RE JKS hybrid kit is perfect for 33's. No matter how much you lift your XJ, your gonna have to trim a little if you don't want those 33's to rub.

im runnin 4.5 re lift on 33x12.5 and the only rubbing i have is from the stupid stock wheels..... not enough backspacing but its getting new tires and wheels here in a little while so it will be fine

dirtdogger17 said:
I've heard great things about rubicon express, and i heard alot of bad things about rusty's..i know there are some hardcore rusty's fans out there, but what brand should i go with to stuff 33s with minimal trimming if any...i'm still a student -aka budget wheeler..im runnin 31s under a skyjacker/tomken mutt lift now but im selling it to a buddy..and i have a bad itch, not so much on my genitals anymore (just kidding), but i think its inchitis :) so i wanna go to 33s..i know ill need a sye and ill prob swap in an 8.8 (to be safe) with 4.10s and get a dana 30 front from a 4-banger..thats a decent chunk of change there, but rather than doin a junkyard lift, im just gonna get a kit so i wont hafta mess around with fabbing or guessing/correcting steering angles myself..what kit do ya think i should go with?..a non-thrashed used kit isnt out of the question either

Rustys and RE use the same coil manufacturer and Rustys uses some dang nice leaves as RE does as well. In order to get the lift you want, look at the extras that come with the springs, i.e. control arms, brake lines, disconnects, etc and decided which kit has what you want for the right price. Both RE and Rustys actually yield you about an inch more than rated and flex well.

Rusty's 4.5 kit with trimming is a great beginner kit, I love it and still have it. Trimming is necessary to fit 33's with any 4.5" lift.
RE's is more complete, with brake lines and some other bits and pieces, which is why it costs more.
With Rusty's you may have to piece a few things together down the road to get a 'perfect' kit, but to begin with his kit is great.
RE's seem to come with pretty much everything right out of the box, just a bit pricier.

Either way you can't really go wrong in my opinion.

Chris

IM000321.jpg

RE 4.5 with 285/75/16's

Kit is awsome drives great !

Rufio said:
im runnin 4.5 re lift on 33x12.5 and the only rubbing i have is from the stupid stock wheels..... not enough backspacing but its getting new tires and wheels here in a little while so it will be fine

It will be fine after you trim with new wheels and tires... new wheels to prevent rubbing on CA's I'm assuming thats where you have rubbing, will stick the tire out further therefore causing rubbing on the flares, so you'll have to trim to prevent that.. or use a WHOLE LOT of bumpstops... aspecialy if you disco swaybar..
This is just what I think.. anyone else agree?

looks like im gonna hang onto my 3/3.5 inch skyjacker tomken kit now and modify what i have to get 33s under there..its the basic 3" skyjacker (control arms, three inch coils, originally had add-a-leafs) but i swapped in a set of tomken rear leafs and rustys extended shackles (i got them as a used combo cheap)..its great for what i have now, but rather than put blocks in the rear, i'm thinkin maybe i should throw an add-a-leaf in there?..i have 1.75" spacers for the front..my rear brake lines are already extended, so to finish it off i'll need an adjustable track bar, extended front brake lines, pitman arm and what else?..

J Vorhees said:
I think DPG Offroad's 4" RE JKS hybrid kit is perfect for 33's. No matter how much you lift your XJ, your gonna have to trim a little if you don't want those 33's to rub.

x2

It's what I did, but trimming/bumpstops are required for 33s. Of course, I don't believe the kit includes shocks either. Don't forget new wheels and tires and your costs go up significantly . . .

DR

Back