• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac bar bolt hole wallowed

javik

NAXJA Forum User
The axle end trac bar bracket bolt hole on my xj has gone from round to oval on both sides of the bracket.

I searched but i could not find the article describing how to fix this problem, any pointers would be great as to what size bolt and material, ect.

jeepin.com has a write up on the front page of the site.

I just used some thick large washers, bolted everthing up and welded around the washers making them part of the bracket, very quick and easy.

welding washers is a popular solution but it didn't seem to easy to weld washers to the back side so i ended up punching out the hole in the mount to 1/2" and doing the same to the sleeve in my track bar.

Mike

I just tried this this past weekend. It didn't really help because the back end of the axle-end mount is wallowed as well (it did still tighten it up a bit). What does one do about that? I read GoJeeps bit about using copper as a backing plate to allow weld to fill the original back hole and redrilling, but otherwise, what's one left to do? As far as going to 7/16," I can't get a 7/16" bolt through the track-bar bushing, and I don't want to fry the bushing trying to drill it out.

i will try the 7/16 bolt seeing as RUSTYS crappy trac bar sleeve never fit the 3/8s in the first place and probably caused most of my problems. Why send a 7/16 sleeve for a 3/8 bolt, Answer, because we want you to have DW you stupid jeeper.

javik said:
The axle end trac bar bracket bolt hole on my xj has gone from round to oval on both sides of the bracket.

I searched but i could not find the article describing how to fix this problem, any pointers would be great as to what size bolt and material, ect.
I went to a specialty fastener store, bought a heavy-pattern (double thickness) hardened washer, and welded it to the face of the bracket. It's been working fine for three years.

BTW -- the OEM bolt isn't 3/8" -- it's 10 mm

Back